Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I did some slow turns today an it was still there but hardly noticeable. The second change was not a flush just a regular drain I believe.

It's always there to some degree, its something all AWD's do to some degree normally. Blu has 40K on his AWD unit, and it shows up when I back out of a parking space, but not when going forward. At full lock, once it overcomes the initial bind, it should release.

nipper

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up on my torque bind issue. I waited a month and did a third AT fluid change complete with additive. This approach has been recommended by several people on the board, so I tried it. I can happily report that the problem has disappeared. the Tranny feels excellent. Thanks for all your suggestions. Anyone else who is experiencing this problem should consider changing their tranny fluid three times with a few weeks between changes before spending the $800-$1000 for the new clutch packs...

Thanks

Thats great but what about us Manual transmission folks??:-\
search for threads related to manual trans torque bind. there's "search" function above and it's very helpful. click on search, advanced search and then click on new generation forum. and search for "torque bind" or "viscous coupler".

also - look at the bottom left of the screen you're looking at right now...there's a "similar threads" listing down there with a bunch of torque bind threads, the first one is manual specific!!!!! the same can be said of the thread you started....scroll to the same bottom left screen and find a few more threads about torque bind.

and i already replied to your thread indicating how you should proceed:

the first step is to make sure all your tires are the same size, tread, and pressure. differences like this stress the differential because it causes the tires to rotate at different speeds.

the second step is to change your fluid and drive it for awhile and hope it frees up....this works sometimes. probably depends how bad it is and how long it's been "let go". you can also try a "concoction", various additives or different fluids may help free the unit up from binding. you can search for more information and ideas about that.

the final fix is to replace the unit or the transmission. that'll be a few hundred dollars depending on parts used and if you're doing the work yourself or not.

Thats great but what about us Manual transmission folks??:-\

In a word, nothing. You have an entirely different animal, with no way out once it starts (aside from checking your tires). This is one of the advantages of the auto. There are things you can try, and they are cheaper to repair an AWD failure.

nipper