Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Info, Fast! WHEEL SIZE?

Currently running 14's on the front of my ea81 1986 gl hatch.

It has 13's on the back...

If I wanted to call the junkyard, and was looking for 14's for the back, what exactly am I looking for (need the rims, don't worry about tires for now).

I know 4 Lug, 14's....but what else do I need to specify? Sorry for the n00b question...

Can I ask a really ... REALLY dumb question? :confused:

Why 14s? I see people on the forums going to so much trouble finding wheels and switching hubs and etc etc... is it just a cosmetic thing? I mean, may be it's because I came from 16.5" tires that cost $150 a piece that I say this ... but I can put 4 tires on my little beast for $102 out the door. Hell, "We don't need no sneekin' alignment!":lol: I mean Geeze, at those prices, I'll put new tires everytime I do an oil change and STILL come out ahead! I know for a fact that if I was shopping for 14" tires, my price would almost double for the same load range, etc.

I mean, there's gotta be something I'm missing here. It's gotta be the looks/handling, yes? I fully admit that some of the soobs that I have seen here that I take a double-look at from a "wow, cool!" standpoint are pimped-out. And I also admit that I use my soob only for work, so I don't really care that much how it looks.

So is that it? Or am I missing-out on a glorious Soobie moment that I should think about? I still consider myself to be somewhat of a newbie. And ... (gulp) after the evidently now-infamous "Virgin Switch" incident last month, I don't take ANYTHING for granted anymore, hehe. I'm never gonna live that down for the rest of my life, I have a feeling!

one reason Dav

at least around here

13" tires are getting hard to find.

and

the options for 14" are wide and varried.

13" is almost "take what dey got" deal sometimes.

Plus they look better.

withpugs4.JPG

WILLY!!!! I LOVE Willy..Thanks Skip...she just made my day:grin: ( Willy is my second favorite EA82 wagon of all times..next to Bucky)

Actually even 14s are getting kinda hard...I had trouble finding ones for my XT6 and what was available was garbage ( around here).

I am upgrading to 16s on the XT6 ..I think..just cause I can swap between it and my Imp them

Thanks Connie, you're the sweetest.

Willy the wunder wagon sits retired now (like her owner ;^) )

She hasn't been started for over a year but I'd

bet dollars to dognutz, she fire right up if I asked.

BTW those are 15"'r's on her, 205/55 I think

And you are correct 14's are even a hard local find.

Thus the 15's.

Thanks Connie, you're the sweetest.

Willy the wunder wagon sits retired now (like her owner ;^) )

She hasn't been started for over a year but I'd

bet dollars to dognutz, she fire right up if I asked.

BTW those are 15"'r's on her, 205/55 I think

And you are correct 14's are even a hard local find.

Thus the 15's.

I keep this picture saved on my Puter of Willy Thats how much I love her:

Willy-1.jpg

I know when I got the tires for the XT6 I had to get some oddball size 195 70s or something.. Dont know if it made it harder cause I believe they are speed rated.

At least the selection of 15 and 16 inch tires is good and the prices are comeing down...slowly

one reason Dav

at least around here

13" tires are getting hard to find.

and

the options for 14" are wide and varried.

13" is almost "take what dey got" deal sometimes.

Plus they look better.

Okay, fair enough. So the 14s must be like 65s or 55s to keep from hitting the wheelwells? I think mine are 165-70R13s, and it's getting close. I think my next option was 175-80R13s and they would have hit the wells (or so I was told .. I dunno.). I've never had a problem getting 13s for sowe reason. But again - it's a work vehicle - I'm not that picky. I have a 2wd also, which seems to sit a lot lower than the ones I've seen. I think I have like the only 2wd Subaru on the planet.

Okay, fair enough. So the 14s must be like 65s or 55s to keep from hitting the wheelwells? I think mine are 165-70R13s, and it's getting close. I think my next option was 175-80R13s and they would have hit the wells (or so I was told .. I dunno.). I've never had a problem getting 13s for sowe reason. But again - it's a work vehicle - I'm not that picky. I have a 2wd also, which seems to sit a lot lower than the ones I've seen. I think I have like the only 2wd Subaru on the planet.

175-80 13 won't rub at all. Even on 2wd. That' a nice size, but again becoming obsolete

195 or 205 /60/14 or 215/55/14 will fit easily.

My reasons for running 14s is the better availability of good snow and traction tires. there is almost nothing for 13s. And what tires are available are 155/80/13 or 175/70/13(wimpy:rolleyes: :-\ ). Almost nothing for 185/70/13 or any bigger.

And once you get 2 or 3 inches of lift, you can run 27x8.50x14 :clap:

My Midas guy says I can order from http://www.tirerack.com/ ship them directly to them and they would put them on. Maybe someone in your area would do the same or you can have them sent to yourself. There were more but I was limited on what I could include in the post.

tire_search_results.gif

Tires for size 185/70-13

Search New Size trans.gifSearch by Vehicle

Performance Category: All

Brands: All

Speed Ratings: All

Run Flat: Included

forward_to_friend.gif

Sort results by: Sort Order... Brand Price Performance Type Speed Rating UTQG Warranty Ratingtrans.gifcompare_selected_tires.gif Yokohama AVID T4

(Performance All-Season)

Overview | Specs | Warranty | Reviews | Test Results | Survey Results yo_avid_t4_ci2_s.jpg4.5.gifSidewall Style: Blackwall

Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $6.36 per tire

Qty:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 add_cart_hazard.gif

Kumho Solus KR21

(Standard Touring All-Season)

Overview | Specs | Warranty | Reviews | Test Results | Survey Results ku_soluskr21_ci2_s.jpg4.5.gifSidewall Style: Blackwall

Qty:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sumitomo HTR T4

Overview | Specs | Warranty | Reviews su_htr_t4_ci2_s.jpg4.gifSidewall Style: Blackwall

Optional Road Hazard Program: additional $6.00 per tire

Qty:

Yokohama AVID Touring

Overview | Specs | Warranty | Reviews | Test Results | Survey Results yo_avid_touring_ci2_s.jpg4.5.gifSidewall Style: Blackwall

Qty:

Firestone FR680

(All-Season)

Overview | Specs | Warranty | Reviews fs_fr680_02_ci2_s.jpg4.5.gifSidewall Style: Blackwall

That's great, but almost nothing for snow or traction.

Also try finding *H* rated 185/70/13s. Almost impossible, and expensive. If you have an EA82 Turbo, alot of places will insist on only installing *H* rated, a that was the factory spec tire. Thank to the Firestone/Ford lawsuit.

So if you have a turbo, put it on blocks, and have you're buddy with a pick up drive you down with the wheels and tires to get them mounted. Don't mention *turbo* if they ask about the vehichle they are going onto.

I predict within 3-5 year the selection gets even slimmer to non-existant.

That's great, but almost nothing for snow or traction.

Also try finding *H* rated 185/70/13s. Almost impossible, and expensive. If you have an EA82 Turbo, alot of places will insist on only installing *H* rated, a that was the factory spec tire. Thank to the Firestone/Ford lawsuit.

So if you have a turbo, put it on blocks, and have you're buddy with a pick up drive you down with the wheels and tires to get them mounted. Don't mention *turbo* if they ask about the vehichle they are going onto.

I predict within 3-5 year the selection gets even slimmer to non-existant.

Just tryin' to help out...

Hehe ... "H", eh? I don't think I've ever gotten my soobie to go faster than like 68mph, haha! Maybe once in a wind-storm. :burnout:

I think I'm due for some new ones. I'll see what my local place has. I'd LOVE so sit a little taller ... I'm lookin' up @ dogs & cats now as it is ...

• 8 months later...