Ultimate Subaru Message Board

imprezas had ABS since 93 and all wheel disc too in some models

the reason i ask is that awhile back i got a hub from a 95 impreza in the JY to replace the one on mine with a bad wheel bearing

now that i got new tires, i see that the side of the replaced hub the tire is alot closer to the bottom of the strut than the other is, lets say the side that was replaced is about 1/4" space and the other side is about 1" space between strut and top of tire... which it makes me think the geometry of that hub where the strut is bolted on is a bit shorter. Could that be correct?

I think the Imp has Drum brake and the Legacy has disc.

I believe it will work but you'll need to swap the backing plate and brakes. Also did Impreza have ABS in 95??

I know that i don't have abs on my 97 brighton but i want to swap to rear discs do i have to find a car that didn't have abs or would any work?

impreza's are a real goof ball of a job by Subaru. they went backwards in the mid 90's. impreza's had rear discs in the earlier models....then around 95, 96, or 97 (not sure when) they started putting rear drum brakes on them for some reason? which is stupid considering that would entail higher production costs for a lesser product.

impreza's are a real goof ball of a job by Subaru. they went backwards in the mid 90's. impreza's had rear discs in the earlier models....then around 95, 96, or 97 (not sure when) they started putting rear drum brakes on them for some reason? which is stupid considering that would entail higher production costs for a lesser product.

Drum brakes last longer.

which is stupid considering that would entail higher production costs for a lesser product.

These would be my guess at why from Subaru's perpective.

1. Wheel cylinder are cheaper than Calipers.

2. E-Brake is integral to the drum brake, instead of being a seperate set of additional components.

3. If drums are standard, they can charge more for the "upgrade" to discs.