Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale starting issues?

ok I'm looking into getting a 92 loyale wagon and it has a starting issue...

she says it turns like it wants to start it just wont??? any helpful suggestions???

could it be that it has been sitting for a month or so??

possibly

-wires?

-plugs?

-dist. cap?

thanks

Ryan

pull the outer timing covers and check the belts - disty will still turn if the pass. side belt is broken (been there, done that)

if timing checks ok, and it has been sitting for an extended period, they CAN be a bear to get started.

last year pulled my 89 GL off the road, parked it and let it sit for about a month. needed to move it to a more out of the way location for the winter. had to hold the throttle to the floor while cranking over to get it to start and then it took a little while for it to smooth out and run right - ie: keep the gas to it, play with the throttle a bit. it coughed and sputtered, even backfired once before finally smoothing out and running nice.

gas gets "old" when it sits without being treated, and will gum up, also will "drain" back so it isnt "right there" when you hit the key.

Make sure the battery has a full charge, and have a go at it.

alright now...since im used to the small justy engine...could someone post a picture of the (ea82)? engine in a 92 loyale so I can get an idea of what I'm looking at here....I've looked all over the place and havent found one.

thanks for the help!!!!!!!!

greatly appreciated!

-Ryan:)

Make sure that spark is getting to the plugs. If there isn't any spark the fuel pump will not work. The pump should turn on briefly when turning the key to ON.

really I've not heard that!....thanks!! saturday...your only two days away!!!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

well went and checked it out today!!! to my suprise it was a 92 legacy!!!!!!!!!

got it started after about 30 mins. drove it home its now sitting outside!!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana: a few fixes and it shall be on the road! its got 2089xx thousand miles and its still a BEAST!!! thanks to everyone for there input more to come with this story as it develops!

-ryan