Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 2.2 to swap into a 1991 loyale 1.8

john f

I have a 1991 subaru loyale with a 1.8 and I want to convert it to a 1990 subaru legacy 2.2. Has anybody done this conversion. Both cars are all-wheel drive and 5-speeds. please help if possible.

yes john this has been done many many many times before.

some ppl even put in the 2.2turbo and 2.5L in.

look up the adaptor and good luck with the wiring

i to am gonna do this to my 92 loyale

you'll notice stickied at the top of this very section, 2 threads. one with a complete write-up (compiled by yours truly). and another with a list of who's done the swap and what they swapped in.

and what a nice write up it is. :banana::headbang::clap:

yes john this has been done many many many times before.

some ppl even put in the 2.2turbo and 2.5L in.

look up the adaptor and good luck with the wiring

i to am gonna do this to my 92 loyale

subex -where would i find an adapter plate, i think i can handle the wiring.

I thought that the all-wheel drive loyales only came in automatics and the 5-speeds where push button 4WD.:confused:

hay poop-my legacy is full-time 4-wheel drive and my loyale is push button in the shifter.

hay poop-my legacy is full-time 4-wheel drive and my loyale is push button in the shifter.

That's what I thought. So one is all wheel drive and one is 4WD (to the best of my knowledge there is a difference between the two)

sjrlift has the pitch stop adaptor on it. I wish that was available when I did my swap. Now I have to rig something up. Just something to take note of.

That's what I thought. So one is all wheel drive and one is 4WD (to the best of my knowledge there is a difference between the two)

indeed. big difference.

check out the vendor section of this site. SJR has his new adapter plates for half price for a short time. hell of a deal!

hey there is another way if you dont plan on using a lo-range transmission. and you wont need a adapter plate or different driveshaft and will still have a pushbutton 4wd trans with an ej22 engine. I did it twice now so i know it can be done. Want to know how?

i sure as heck do!

but still the wiring issues

im not trying to make anyone mad or have anyone lose any sales this is what i did. take apart ej transmission, take all the gears out and clean up the front two halves. set them aside, now take apart the ea transmission, discard the front halves, the ej front halves are the same other than the bellhousing and the ea gears fit inside the ej case. the pushbutton ea tailshaft will bolt right up to the ej case halves. the input shaft is even the same size as the ej so the factory clutch EJ will even work. dont forget to exchange the spedo gear in the transmission. Also make sure the alignment holes on the main berrings line up with the pins in the case. it is a lot easier than all this sounds. id build the hybird transmission for you for FREE just to be able to do a bunch of pics and better write up it works great.

im not trying to make anyone mad or have anyone lose any sales this is what i did. take apart ej transmission, take all the gears out and clean up the front two halves. set them aside, now take apart the ea transmission, discard the front halves, the ej front halves are the same other than the bellhousing and the ea gears fit inside the ej case. the pushbutton ea tailshaft will bolt right up to the ej case halves. the input shaft is even the same size as the ej so the factory clutch EJ will even work. dont forget to exchange the spedo gear in the transmission. Also make sure the alignment holes on the main berrings line up with the pins in the case. it is a lot easier than all this sounds. id build the hybird transmission for you for FREE just to be able to do a bunch of pics and better write up it works great.

this is already pretty well documented (Phizinza did it, except with dual range EA82 gears in a dual range EJ case).

but, if you're not going dual range, or FT4WD, why bother. just run an EJ AWD tranny as-is. way less work, and way better than just S/R PT4WD.