Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all. I'm new to the thread as I just found this site. Got a question. The oil filter on my 2000 Outback keeps leaking. I have replaced the filter four times now, had Subaru do the last oil change and filter. Each time it's been changed within a few miles of running the filter starts leaking. Has anyone got any ideas or seen this problem before? :confused::banghead:

Hi and welcome!

You're sure it is the oil filter itself leaking? If so there may be a gouge in the oil filter seal mating surface on the block. I think some soob oil filters for a short period had an issue with leaks so soob changed suppliers?

Or oil might be leaking out of the bottom of the timing cover and down onto the filter.

I'd bet that it's a 'different' leak like Porc said.

Hard to believe that the dealer wouldn't point out all the potential expensive repairs (compared to an oil change) to correct the problem. Could be one of the seals or the PS pump then sometimes it runs down behind timing cover. If this is the case the fluid will be red (and I assume that you'd know that you were adding PS fluid).

Are you actually seeing the oil on the bottom of the filter? Or just the bottom of the motor?

Just suggestions. If the mounting surface looks good it can't be 4 filters. And these cars are known for other leaking issues.

Dave

Thanks for the reply. No it's definitly the filter, oil leaking off the bottom of filter. I've been surfing for oil filter related problems and found several people with the same problem. Everything from overtightning , undertightning , to loose keeper bolt for filter. My wife drove it to work today so I'll check it again tonight. We had it up on a rack, with the engine running, for 30min and it never leaked with a new oil filter until I drove it home on the interstate and it started leaking again. Strange!

Rev it up when it's on the rack. Don't let it just idle. Two guesses would be that it's pressure related - or it's leaking somewhere else and being blown back to the filter and running down it since it's the low point.

I think they make 'trace' stuff for oil that then you look for with a black light. Never used the method but it may be worth it to figure out the source.

Dave

Next time the oil filter is off, wipe clean and inspect carefully (both visually and with fingernail) the metal portion of the block where the oil filter seal seats. It should be very smooth, not necessarily mirror like but there could be scratches or gouges on there allowing oil to seep past the seal.

what could cause excessive oil pressure?
Only thing could really be failed closed or not opening sufficiently pressure relief valve (located right on the oil pump itself). It opens at about 72psi.

everybody forgot to ask "what brand filter"?

I'm sorry, I guess, I just use aftermarket (primarily FRAM because of the grit ends) Flush contact plus 1/2 to 3/4 turn

IF you want to verify and don't mind killing the filter, tighten it an additional 1/2 turn or so with a filter removal wrench and check it again. The sister's 2.2 had a coated filter, too and it was a leaky oil pump crank mainseal and NOT the filter

Like others have said, IF the sealing surface is smooth and the filter is contact tight plus 1/2 to 3/4 turn to compress the gasket, there is NOTHING there that can leak from the filter to block joint - those flat o-rings will hold 100psi EASILY

I have had several Bosch Premium oil filters leak. I even had one relaced for free by Bosch. I THINK that the gasket was too thin on the filters that leaked. I always check the oil level for at least a couple of days after any oil change. This policy save my motor, I caught the leak when it was only one quart low.

Since he did it several times and the dealer one time - that's why I didn't include the filter in my list of open possibilities.

I still have trouble believeing it's a filter/mating problem. Of course I haven't seen the car.

Dave

Ok! It looked good this evening when the wife got home. The new purolator oil filter (L14460) I put on appears to be holding good, no leakage. I do have some weepage around the cylinder heads but nothing abnormal. Before putting this filter on I checked the surfaces, cleaned them, lubricated the gasket and turned the required 3/4 turn, which is what I normally do. Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'll hang around this forum, love the Suby Outback. :)