Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Newsletter - March 08

The write up on the diesel makes it sound like a nice power plant. However, with diesel fuel pushing $4.00/gallon, about 50 cents higher per gallon then gasoline, I don't see any savings buying a turbo diesel.

Subaru is a small company with shallow pockets for R & D, so I figure they don't have much money to spend on new technology power plants. Suggest Subaru go to Toyota, (who owns about 25% of them) and ask to license Toyota hybrid technology to give their cars better fuel economy.

Too bad Subaru didn't come up with such an engine several years ago.

Sube's with the new diesel engine are expected to come to the States in 2 to 3 years; by then, fuel prices here will likely be $6-$8 per gallon...possibly even higher:eek: , the economy in the toilet (stagflation with a vengeance)) with high unemployment, very high price inflation with the cost of food going through the roof, and, due to the dollar's collapse, especially in relation to the Yen by then, the cost of a Sube with a diesel will be prohibitive. Diesel engines are generally a few thousand more than gas engines anyway, no?

Most folks will have far more pressing concerns than spending their dwindling resources on a new car.

Ah well, let's drink to the good times....rapidly disappearing and which we'll never again see, at least in most of our lifetimes, sigh...:drunk::(

They were showing a European price of $31,000 for the Outback Wagon with the diesel, plus it was getting 50mpg combined city/highway. If that comes here for that price I will be first in line. For an extra $.50/gallon and double the mileage it's well worth it...plus any diesel I would get I would buy a biodiesel conversion for anyway.

Too bad Subaru didn't come up with such an engine several years ago.

Sube's with the new diesel engine are expected to come to the States in 2 to 3 years; by then, fuel prices here will likely be $6-$8 per gallon...possibly even higher:eek: , the economy in the toilet (stagflation with a vengeance)) with high unemployment, very high price inflation with the cost of food going through the roof, and, due to the dollar's collapse, especially in relation to the Yen by then, the cost of a Sube with a diesel will be prohibitive. Diesel engines are generally a few thousand more than gas engines anyway, no?

Most folks will have far more pressing concerns than spending their dwindling resources on a new car.

Ah well, let's drink to the good times....rapidly disappearing and which we'll never again see, at least in most of our lifetimes, sigh...:drunk::(

Subaru might have to revisit the past... :grin:

http://www.subarudrive.com/Sum06_attic2.htm

http://www.subarudrive.com/Sum06_attic3.htm

I might add that if the US/World economy should tank, the older, less complicated technological designs will be more maintainable (assuming parts can still be found or built).