Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange noises...

I have come to live and love some of the unusual noises that my '83 GL makes. But these two that have just started recently, have got me wondering.

The only one that I am really concerned about is the noise I'm getting from the transmission (dual range 4 speed). Since I've owned it, it has always made some noise while coasting out of gear. But since this past Sunday, it has started making noise while in 4th. Kind of a scratchy, scuffing noise. If I lightly pull the shifter back it quiets down. I'm really not sure what is, or why it just started to happen.

The second noise is just a strange "moan" from the rear of the car when the brake pedal comes up after being depressed. Not sure what that is either :) But my brakes are fine and that’s been going on for about a week or so.

Anyone have similar noises, or know what is going on with my car?

You should check your front diff fluid, I had a 3AT that started making strange noises while in gear (scratchy, scuffy like you said) and the diff fluid was really low. As for the rear end noise, could be a bearing. Jack it up and see if you can move the wheels side to side. If there is play, could be a bearing.

Thanks for the quick response!

I have checked the fluid, and it read "full". I'm guessing that we are thinking of the same thing. It was the dipstick on the tranny.

And I can't imagine the rear noise being a bearing, because I don't have to be moving to hear it. I actually only hear it when I'm sitting still, like parking it for instance. When I let off the break pedal, it make that funky noise, and the car isn't moving at all (e-brake is up).

I hear simular noise from the rear brakes of my '86 BRAT. Usually when I've pulled into the driveway, kill the engine and pull the E-brake, let off the brake pedal.

I'm thinking it's just the brake shoes returning to thier relaxed position, rubbing on the backing plate, causing the noise. My rear brakes are in need of adjustment though. (Adjuster screws are siezed, so I can't adjust them right now, (new adjusters are on order)). But that could be what you are hearing from your brakes.