Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does the needle bounce at the lower speeds and then act normally when cruising at 30mph or above? If so, more likely the problem is at the VSS on the transmission than the VSS circuit in the instrutmentaion cluster. Did you replace either one with new or used parts?

The VSS electro/mechanical on the tranmission has a common failure rate of between 90K and 140K miles - usually surcombs to the heat from the tranny and first symtoms show bouncing of the needle when first starting out and at low speeds. Symtoms may vary from a cold to a warmed up transmission. On my 96 OBW, the originally started failing at around 96K, replaced new, and now again at 235K -planning to replace soon. Dealer techs I've spoken to confirm it's common component to fail.

From what I know about the VSS circuit in the head unit (gauges) when it fails, it fails completely - no speedo needle movement at all.

Hope that helps.

Does the needle bounce at the lower speeds and then act normally when cruising at 30mph or above? If so, more likely the problem is at the VSS on the transmission than the VSS circuit in the instrutmentaion cluster. Did you replace either one with new or used parts?

The VSS electro/mechanical on the tranmission has a common failure rate of between 90K and 140K miles - usually surcombs to the heat from the tranny and first symtoms show bouncing of the needle when first starting out and at low speeds. Symtoms may vary from a cold to a warmed up transmission. On my 96 OBW, the originally started failing at around 96K, replaced new, and now again at 235K -planning to replace soon. Dealer techs I've spoken to confirm it's common component to fail.

From what I know about the VSS circuit in the head unit (gauges) when it fails, it fails completely - no speedo needle movement at all.

Hope that helps.

well is the part i replaced that vsss part, its the elctro/mechanical piece, didnt change anything, does stabalize above 30????????

well is the part i replaced that vsss part, its the elctro/mechanical piece, didnt change anything, does stabalize above 30????????

So you replaced the unit on the transmission with a *new* part - right? Not a used one pulled from another vehicle in a junkyard or otherwise? It may be defective anyway. Might want to try another unit to see if the symptom changes. If you search the archives, I think I remember reading someone suggesting a way to test the signal voltage output of the device by mounting it in a varible speed drill and watching if the output signal changes linearly on volt/ohm meter with the speed of the drill. But I never tried this.

To make sure we are all talking about the same sensor - here is simple description of the 2 VSS components: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl833h.htm.

There is also previous message threads with pictures if you do a search: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65752&page=3&highlight=vehicle+speed+sensor

There is actually a 3rd VSS component which is the VSS buffer circuit located in the head unit (or gauge cluster) which takes the signal given to it from the sensor on the transmission to the ECU. As the article decribes, problems with the speedometer are either with the VSS-2 sensor (most likely) or with the circuit in the guages (most unlikely).

So you replaced the unit on the transmission with a *new* part - right? Not a used one pulled from another vehicle in a junkyard or otherwise? It may be defective anyway. Might want to try another unit to see if the symptom changes. If you search the archives, I think I remember reading someone suggesting a way to test the signal voltage output of the device by mounting it in a varible speed drill and watching if the output signal changes linearly on volt/ohm meter with the speed of the drill. But I never tried this.

To make sure we are all talking about the same sensor - here is simple description of the 2 VSS components: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl833h.htm.

There is also previous message threads with pictures if you do a search: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65752&page=3&highlight=vehicle+speed+sensor

There is actually a 3rd VSS component which is the VSS buffer circuit located in the head unit (or gauge cluster) which takes the signal given to it from the sensor on the transmission to the ECU. As the article decribes, problems with the speedometer are either with the VSS-2 sensor (most likely) or with the circuit in the guages (most unlikely).

ok so i got the wrong speed sensor it sounds like

i did the one in the front, but it sounds like its the one in the back that is the issue

im trying to find one now