Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cam question

does anyone know the specs for the turbo cams as com[ared to the na cams? i built a ea82 with the na bottom end and the turbo heads and cams, on a mpfi turbo engine, but im taking the turbo off and the mpfi and going to run dual side draft webers. so im wondering should i keep the turbo cams or run the na cams? any input will help. thanks.

does anyone know the specs for the turbo cams as com[ared to the na cams? i built a ea82 with the na bottom end and the turbo heads and cams, on a mpfi turbo engine, but im taking the turbo off and the mpfi and going to run dual side draft webers. so im wondering should i keep the turbo cams or run the na cams? any input will help. thanks.

There are three profiles for the EA82c Carb, SPFI and turbo. I would need to know what you are using the engine for primarily. The cam is important depending on usage. There are also aftermarket alternatives as well.

Let us now.

There are three profiles for the EA82c Carb, SPFI and turbo. I would need to know what you are using the engine for primarily. The cam is important depending on usage. There are also aftermarket alternatives as well.

Let us now.

This is almost right. A few notes

Early(85,86)Turbo and Carbed cams are different than later. The early(85,86) Carbed and Turbo cams are the same. Shortest duration Cam made for these. I wouldn't use these.

For 87, Carbed engines got the SPFI cam.

for 87-1/2, the Turbo engines get a new cam with overall longer duration than old ones, or even the SPFI, but the exhaust valve is closed a bit quicker to keep exhaust pressure up

Also, the MPFI, Spider intake, NON-Turbo Cam (87+4cyl XT) has 4 degree longer duration than even the late Turbo Cams. 2 degrees on either end(opening and closing)

I would rate the options in this order, best first:

1. 87+ MPFI non turbo XT Cams.

2. SPFI cams

3 87+ MPFI turbo cams

Don't bother with the older turbo Cams, they are the same as the early carbed Cams.

You really need to set it up and do vacuum and performance tests to figure out which is best.

oh great. ive got the 87 mpfi turbo cams on there now. it was great with the turbo. i guess my main goal for this car is mostly off road, low rpm/speed stuff, while still being able to pass people on the highway and go uphilss fine. the reason im taking the turbo off is because i dont want to be splashing water puddles on it, and when i put the radiator in the pare tire hole the turbo will heat up the radiator too much, i think, and plus theres just that much less to worry about when im driving it. just so everyone knows, this engine is in the "rat" pictured here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84790

UPDATE: im doing a single weber two barrel instead of dual side draft. because its easier.

oh great. ive got the 87 mpfi turbo cams on there now. it was great with the turbo. i guess my main goal for this car is mostly off road, low rpm/speed stuff, while still being able to pass people on the highway and go uphilss fine. the reason im taking the turbo off is because i dont want to be splashing water puddles on it, and when i put the radiator in the pare tire hole the turbo will heat up the radiator too much, i think, and plus theres just that much less to worry about when im driving it. just so everyone knows, this engine is in the "rat" pictured here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84790

UPDATE: im doing a single weber two barrel instead of dual side draft. because its easier.

Stock spec cams will do nothing for you. That's why I asked about your intended use. You need to call Delta (Toll Free: 1.800.562.5500) and ask for a set of torque grind cams for the EA82. Start with SPFI blanks and have them grind those. It will work better. Talk to Jon and tell him Ken told you to call him. Tell him exactly what I wrote and he'll hook you up with what you need.

Are you using a 32/36 or a 38 for your Weber?

What diameter is the exhaust?

That thing is nuts! I would suggest that you add in a diagonal brace to your hoop. It will add structural integrity to the design and better protect you in the event of a sideways rollover. I would also add some straight bracing from the upper corners of the hoop to the windshield. Better safe than sorry.

Looks like fun though.

sweet thanks! i might just run whats there for a while, though. money being the main issue, as always.

the carb is a 32/36

the exhaust is (i think) 2" headers y'd into 2.5" collector. probly do straight 2.5 with a small glasspack.

yeah i will add some bracing to the cage when i get some more tube. when i did the x on top i thought about doing straight bars on the sides.