Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Sway Bar Bushings?

Guest jclay

Hi All,

Just a quick question today...I want to change the bushings on my front sway bar, can I do so without disconnecting the end links? Is there anything I should be aware of that may result in my not being able to get humpty-dumpty back together again?

"Humpty" is a 97 legacy L wgn 2.2.

Thanks in advance!

Hm not sure I haven't done it with the bar in place; usually upgrading endlinks at the same time. I think you could do it without disconnecting the endlinks. The bushings just pop onto the bar. Subaru says any stabilizer mounting hardware should be torqued only with the vehicle on the ground (i.e. weight on suspension as normla).

you will likely need an alignment tool (taper punch) to hold one of the bushing plates into the hole while you install the other end. it's also likely to be easier to align with the front end off the ground, remove/install bolts (don't do final torque until on the ground BUT MAKE SURE ALL ARE THREADED "LOOSE" INTO THE HOLES AT LEAST A FULL TURN OR 2)

of course, my info might not be "SUB" - I am used to working on a "different" front wheel drive (Tempo) but the principle is the same

It can be done without removing the end links.

If you can crawl under the car without jacking it up, it makes it a little easier to line everything up. Also, it can help to unbolt the jack pad from the front cross member. Doing so allows the sway bar to rotate farther from the bushing mounts.

• 11 months later...