Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HEAVILY modified EA71 anyone?

Hey everyone I hate to do this again. But I'm planning on hot-rodding an EA71, and I think this thing might have some good parts for that. Anyway, I just contacted the guy via email, it's still for sale, and I'm hoping to talk him down quite a bit. So this is my way of asking the board really nicely if you all don't mind, I'd like to call dibbs on this, or at least dibbs on trying to get this reasonably. Any objections, let me know, I am a really easy going laid back guy, so no worries either way. Thanks Kostamojen for posting!

Crabman

Aw heck, I take it back. I can't consider buying this, I'm not really even sure what I'm looking at, and the guy doesn't have much info about it, doesn't know if it ran, runs, or what.

Yeah and what kind of heads are those anyway, EA63 dual port on an EA71 case? I'm curious to hear other opinions about it. How much do you guys think its worth?

I'd say its worth $500 for sure, with those custom dual-intake ports and oil sump, but i'm not thrifty like most USMB folks...

Honestly, all you need is the shortblock from that EA71 you bought Crabman and this motor would run for sure.

I have no idea what heads those are, if they are some special EA71 dual-ports, or if they are EA63 dual ports. Its a very interesting and confusing at the same time engine setup...

I am in negotiations with the guy. And think I am going to make him an offer later today. Then I just need to plan a trip out there to pick it up. I guess the official EA71 hotrod project has begun. :headbang:

Kostamojen, I am going to blame you if things go terribly wrong. ;)

Cheers,

Crabman

Looks very nice I must say.

I've got absolutely no clue on these older engines, but only time thus far I've seen exhaust ports on the front and back of the heads was on Kostamojen's FF1. True or not true?

Oh and when you get it in the brat, make sure to make a nice long, picture filled topic about it ;)

LOL s'ko you are too funny. Maybe I'll just put Ethan's go-kart motor in the Brat instead. They have about the same HP :-p

You guys I have no idea what I am going to do with this yet. But the fella came way down in his asking price and I have been looking for an excuse for a road trip lately. So it just got be a can't lose situation and I went for it. Please don't expect my EA71 hot-rod thread any time soon. I am more of a long term project type of guy. To tell you the truth I think I am more anxious to get an operable heater core in my brat (what's going on with that thread anyway?)

But I told s'ko that as soon as I get it, we are going to put it on an engine stand, drink a couple of beers and just stare at it until we come up with some good ideas. Take care fellas, Crabman

Make sure to take some really good pics too :D

of us kicking back and drinking beer and staring at it. might be a bit boring.

I saw we roadwarrior the mess out of it and make a crazy blower stick out the hood like in Madmax.

You know, after looking closely at these pics, its definitley a EA71 shortblock with EA63 dual port heads, you can see the overlap in places. I'm curious how they accomplished this...

Yeah this engine is a huge curiosity to me. Probably the main reason that I bought it. When I get it, I'm thinking about doing a complete breakdown. I'm just expecting some nice surprises, good or bad. I'll be sure to take a lot of pictures.

The fella got my check, now I just need to find time to pick it up. Probably in May. So expect an update then!