Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Repair or disable rear hatch lock

My Subaru is a 1996 OBW 2.5

My problem is my rear hatch does not always unlock when I use the lock switch on the drivers door. This has been the case for a few months now, but not a huge problem as after a few tries with the lock switch or key in the drivers door, the hatch would unlock eventually. By the way, the key does not work in the actual slot on the hatch itself.

However, yesterday the lock switch did not unlock the hatch at all, even after many attempts, and I was forced to retrieve my laptop bag by reaching over the rear seats.

So, I assume there is something messed up with the hatch lock mechanism, either wiring or maybe gummed-up or something.

Is there something I can try to repair the lock in the hatch? Cleaning maybe?

Would it be better to simply disable the lock, leaving it unlocked all the time (I would have to remove valuables, but at least I could use the hatch area) ?

Cheers,

Its the handle itself. It costs all of 22.00ish to replace all the hardware and fix it properly.

You need a new handle and license plate light assembly and new bolts.. This is a common thing, as all the road salt acumulates up there and makes it so the mechanisim doesnt fully operate.

nipper