Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, ?

I have recently noticed a scratch sound from the rear brakes. It starts when the brakes are lightly applied and goes away after more pressure is put on them;

moreover, it doesn't always do this, but, seven times out of ten uses it does.

They have about 20k on the rear disks and at running my hands over them, both disks feel smooth. I am thinking it's time for new pads, but if anyone thinks differently, please post.Also, the car stops perfectly normal.

Thanks in advance,

John

After sticking new performance pads in my Legacy ive noticed a similar scratching noise. Would be interesting to find out what it is.

All the sliders and pins are greased nicely on mine and i know the brakes arent binding, its just weird how these new pads are much louder untill some pressure is applied compared to the OEM ones.

After sticking new performance pads in my Legacy ive noticed a similar scratching noise. Would be interesting to find out what it is.

All the sliders and pins are greased nicely on mine and i know the brakes arent binding, its just weird how these new pads are much louder untill some pressure is applied compared to the OEM ones.

Yes, and the rear does have performance pads. But, it never did this over the past year and half of use. :-\

I have recently noticed a scratch sound from the rear brakes. It starts when the brakes are lightly applied and goes away after more pressure is put on them;[...]

They have about 20k on the rear disks and at running my hands over them, both disks feel smooth.[...]

I'll assume you haven't replaced the rotors with stainless steel ones. Therefore, the disks are likely smooth where the pad runs, but are probably rusty towards the hub and outer edge. That can be a cause of the type of noise you're describing; the edges of the pads can "bump" on the rust until enough pressure is applied. If you haven't done so, besides the more easily seen outer surface, it would be good to inspect the inner surface of each disk as well.

The noise sounds prominent on the passenger side. The rotors were replaced with the pads. No substantial rust is visible on the outside....

Our winter was brutal here. Perhaps sand has made its was into them. I think I will try a good power wash.