Ultimate Subaru Message Board

License Plate Lamp Out - Any Suggestions

So I was driving home last night and got pulled over by the cops because my license plate lamp was out. Today I replaced the bulbs, but they still don't work. I tried to check the connections and they seem fine. Is there anything else I can try before I bring my subie into the stealership? Oh yeah, I'm driving a 2003 Outback Sedan. Thanks!

Step 1:

Get one of those motion sensor lights from Home Depot.

Step 2:

Sheet metal screw it to the rear, above the license plate.

Step 3:

Wire a short cord with a common house plug.

Step 4:

Buy a Honda Inverter Technology generator. They are really a great investment anyways.

Step 5:

Place the generator in the rear of you vehicle, and run the short cord from the light to it.

Step 6: Every time you plan on driving some where; start the generator!

Now, when the police officer pulls in behind you; he will trip the motion sensor, and your "license plate light" will automatically turn on!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Glad I could be of some help!:grin:

is there voltage at the socket itself?

You may have a bad ground, so check both the hot and the ground with a meter.

I hate to ask the obvious, but how are the bulbs.

nipper

I had just replaced with brand new bulbs today, and the original bulbs didn't really look blown, but it was a little hard to tell. Unfortunately don't have access to a meter anymore, so maybe I should invest in one. Hmmm... I'll have to take another look tomorrow when I have more time.

I had just replaced with brand new bulbs today, and the original bulbs didn't really look blown, but it was a little hard to tell. Unfortunately don't have access to a meter anymore, so maybe I should invest in one. Hmmm... I'll have to take another look tomorrow when I have more time.

get a cheap meter at radio shack. Untill then we cant really help you.

nipper

Step 1: Get one of those motion sensor lights from Home Depot.

Step 2: Sheet metal screw it to the rear, above the license plate.

Step 3: Wire a short cord with a common house plug.

Step 4: Buy a Honda Inverter Technology generator. They are really a great investment anyways.

Step 5: Place the generator in the rear of you vehicle, and run the short cord from the light to it.

Step 6: Every time you plan on driving some where; start the generator!

Now, when the police officer pulls in behind you; he will trip the motion sensor, and your "license plate light" will automatically turn on!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Glad I could be of some help!:grin:

Simple, yet elegant. And economical, too!

Might be a fuse.

Also (this happened on my wagon): See if there's a panel that you can pull off the inside of the trunklid that the wires lead into. On my wagon, one of the wires simply came unplugged (no rust or damage), a simple fix.

Just my 2 bucks

(Uh-oh, I just thought of something..your rear plate might be mounted in the bumper on that model. In any case, check the wires/plugs leading to the lights in question)