Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lessons Learned: What to Take on High Country Trips

Robert M

a flask of your favorite hooch.

will make sitting around the fire of a forced camp out a little more enjoyable. :drunk:

Nice. I had a stainless flask of whiskey with me on a 4x4 trip that took me over 13000 ft in CO. It expanded and the seams burst. So much for my "disinfectant." :)

Whoops... old thread.

Edited by kanurys

As much as all the other stuff listed helps out, the one thing I have used the most wheeling, more than tools, a spare shovel, flashlights, straps or what have you is hand cleaner and rags. :lol: The shovel can save your life though, especially in snow.:eek: No matter how hard I tried to maneuver in the snow covered cascades once I was heading towards this cliff......

somewhat unrelated(but not really) and i only have this because I am a backcountry skier, but if you get a fishing license its an extra $.25 to support search and rescue which waives the >$1,000 fee you may incur by requiring a rescue effort.

some stuff that is more applicable to winter that is coming

MAPP gas or propane torch for trying to get a fire started in the wet & cold(plus many other uses) butane crack torch might suffice but they always break

small razor sharp hatchet

a couple types of gloves-good quality waterproof ski gloves, plus mechanix or similar with some dexterity. you dont want to have to do stuff in wet and cold with bare hands.

enough food for 3 days longer than you plan to be out even if its some ramen or powerbars or something

a plan with folks back home where exactly you are going and when you plan to be back and when they should start to worry

nice LED headlamp with extra batteries is critical IMHO

Edited by 970subaru