Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I have 2 subi's--one with a 2.2 (1990 Legacy) and one with a 2.5 (2001 Legacy)...

Is it me, or is the 2.2 a way better engine? It sounds better, runs smoother and is easier to work on (I find)...the 2.2 also has 370 K on it while the 2.5 has 146K ...just my thoughts...I was thinking of selling the '90 but just can't do it...the car is a bit rusted but that old engine is so good...

I read that the 2003 engines are better.
i wouldn't count on it. that was the original thought. but the newer the car, the less accurate the information in a way. you don't *see* as much...because people are more likely to repair them, have them under warranty, etc.

that being said, i've seen some talk of headgasket issues on 2003+ engines as well on here and other subaru boards (i think nasioc was one).

As I understand it, the head gasket issue with the EJ25 engine is more a matter of a design flaw in the engine, rather than with the head gasket itself, which allows for an excessive, greater than normal amount of stress on the hg.

The newest versions of the head gasket may be more robust, making it more resistant to the stress, but unless the engine is actually redesigned, it's doubtful that the problem can be completely resolved.

So, barring any hard evidence to the contrary, I'd say that it's likely that the head gasket still remains a weak point in the newer Subes.:(