Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82-class brake caliper and parts getting scarse?!

While R&R'ing a front axle on my XT, I noticed that the brake caliper's piston dust seal was pretty shot. The caliper slide-mount boots were in very sad shape, too. No big deal, I think. Just pop on down to NAPA and get replacements. Well...

NAPA had trouble finding listings, and any/all listings dead-ended at the part number. They could not order any for me. Ditto With CSK (Checker/Schucks/Kragen). Got some numbers from NAPA website and took those in to the store. Again, they could find the number but could not order directly; they had to call a distributor in Canada to check stock, etc.

Distributor said that they had 11 left; no one was sure what the shipping charge would be. So, I decided to check with my local Subaru dealer...

...Dealer said that the caliper kit (piston seal and dust boot) were around $35 per side (gulp!); but that didn't matter because they were discontinued and he showed that none existed in the USA. According to him, my only option was to buy a new caliper (for some exorbinant amount); but again this price was almost moot as there were only 4 left in the USA!!!!

I ended up ordering the parts from Rock Auto, but even these were not listed as stocked parts. I will see if they can get them for me.

AFAIK, all of the EA82-series chassis use the same brake caliper, so we may be heading into some unavailable parts issues. Although I have yet to see any leaking or siezed Subaru calipers (or other Japanese calipers for that matter), the dust boots do deteriorate and need replacing.

Any body else have problems finding "normal maintenance" parts?

Well, I tried ordering from RockAuto.com, and they politely notified me that the slider-pin boots were backordered from their supplier, and might be so for 1-2 months. Hmmm... (I have done little except work and sleep since the notice, so haven't followed up yet.)

As far as Dealer prices, what is reasonable? My local dealer wanted to charge me 1000% of local aftermarket for the piston seal and dust boot. ($35-ish vs. $3.50)

Pat-

Did you check 1st Subaru? They appear to sell an "overhaul kit" for $57.

https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html

I checked them out early on, but they have no description of what is included in an overhaul kit. Judging by the list price, I would guess it is the same thing that my dealer was offering me, a single piston seal and dust boot.

As far as rebuilt calipers, it bothers me to spend $60+ dollars to replace a perfectly functioning caliper (times 2) that just happens to have deteriorating dust boots; that, and the caliper is unlikely to come with the boots for the caliper slider. I have no leakage/seapage from these calipers (yet), but bad dust boots + 1-mile of dirt road is not a good combo.

But still, my wider concern involves the unavailability of parts used on EVERY EA82-class car. There are literally thousands of these cars in my little burgh. The brake seals may be uber-reliable, but once the dust seals go what will keep these cars from being junked just because replaceing a couple dollar part becomes a major financial/time event? What other parts seem to be available but really are not?

(I sound like I should end this post with, "Go tell Ducky Lucky and Henny Penny that the sky is falling!!!!" :rolleyes: )

well i have never looked for rebuild kits for these i just replaced my calipers, i'm sure its not to hard rebuild them i've done many just haven't rebuilt any yet that has the parking brake involved. i'll check my local sources and see if there are any available here.

ok, well i just got off the phone with my local Carquest store and he said that he can get me rebuild kits for front calipers for my 86" wagon my cost is $4.00 a side. would take a couple of days to get there in Illinios.

as far as any other part i haven't ran into anything else but i do know that rear disc brake parts are getting hard to get.