Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2008 STI transmission problem

I was driving home from work yesterday and I came to a stop at a light and put the car in neutral. When I tried to shift into 1st - the shifter wouldn't move.

I wasn't driving hard or doing anything crazy to the clutch - I was just going home driving "normally". I tried turning the car off and restarting a couple of time but the shifter still wouldn't budge.

While I waited for a friend to come check out the car, I tried restarting several times but no luck.

Finally, after about 45 min. my friend arrived and I restarted one more time and then magically, the shifter went into gear. I drove straight to the dealership. They said that they couldn't find anything wrong with the clutch/tranny/shifter. Basically, they told me that they had no clue what happened and that the car was safe to drive as far as they were concerned.

Does anyone have any ideas about what happend?

Is there an interlock with the shifter of any kind, where the key is locked, the shifter cant be moved?

Was there any grinding?

Would the car shift into gear with the engine off?

There was no grinding and yes, the car would shift into gear when the engine was off.

Its something electrical..the 08 Imps all computer driven..Thats why it takes some getting used to from the older models..( Example when the rpms "hang" ) Mine doesnt let me downshift if the RPMs are too high ...usually from 5th to 4th....So I am laying money on an overheated electrical component. It could be a fluke thing..might not. Keep an eye on it.Next time IF it happens..call the dealer and have them get it...dont do anything...

Also...You said you could get it into the gears when it was turned off...Did you just put it in first ..clutch it and start it?Then have it pop out? Or do you start in neutral?

Also...You said you could get it into the gears when it was turned off...Did you just put it in first ..clutch it and start it?Then have it pop out? Or do you start in neutral?

Thanks for the info! - no, it did not pop out - I started in neutral