Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everone Im new to your board. Glad I found it ! I have a 99 OBW, 95K on it. 5 speed trans.

About every 3-4 weeks I keep getting CK. engine light, fault code(s) Misfire on Cyl 1 & 3?

New plugs NGK and wires were replaced. Power and performace are good, fuel milage is around 21- 22 mpg. I think it this poor?

Anyone have a suggestion were to start?

DaveyMac

:confused:

Check the coilpack, that's probably headed south...

Subarus have never had good gas mileage. My opinion is that they're set to run a bit rich from the factory, just for safe-keeping...

But this is a great place to get help, lots of knowledgeable people here.

Welcome! :cool:

Originally posted by DWM650

Hello everone Im new to your board. Glad I found it ! I have a 99 OBW, 95K on it. 5 speed trans.

About every 3-4 weeks I keep getting CK. engine light, fault code(s) Misfire on Cyl 1 & 3?

New plugs NGK and wires were replaced. Power and performace are good, fuel milage is around 21- 22 mpg. I think it this poor?

Anyone have a suggestion were to start?

DaveyMac

:confused:

Since you've eliminated the plugs as the cause of the misfire, I'd check the wires and coil pack. 22 mi/gal seems a bit low. I average 25, and I have a "lead foot".

Originally posted by myles

I'd check the wires and coil pack.

Already replaced wires with plugs. Ordered coil pack today. will have it Wed. 12/30 I'l post back with results.

BTW how do I know what Generation Motor do I have???

DaveyMac

Unless you have a very rare beast, you will have a Phase I DOHC engine. The SOHC engine was not put in the Legacy's until the 2000 model year.

The difference is obvious if you have seen both engines. The DOHC has larger front engine covers with 2 circular 'marks' per side (ends of camshafts).

Also, since you've been at the spark plugs just recently - The DOHC's spark plugs go in horizontally. The SOHC's plugs are on a slight angle from above.

Commuter

PO301, CYL 1 MISFIRE DETECTED

PO303, CYL 3 MISFIRE DETECTED

Warmed up engine after it sits for 5min, and then restarted and allowed to idle.

You feel the engine skip and shake just before it produces codes and CEL comes on. Ya also can here it miss at the tail pipe.

Daveymac ":cornfuzz:

ps, this is random "not all the time"