Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Legacy wagon cruise and check engine light

Hi my dad was driving yesterday and his 06 legacy starting running rough the check engine light started flashing and then went solid and then his cruise light started flashing. The car then started running normal again after a couple of minutes, but the check engine light is still on as well as the cruise light still blinking and the cruise will not work. Car has 60,000kms on it, anyone have any ideas what might have or is causing this? It has not been hooked up to a scanner yet so I don't have any codes.

Thanks,

Denise

usually the only thing that will make the CEL flash on/off is a misfire severe enough to damage the catalytic converter.........not to sure how it is on newer cars

and chances are im wrong here but if the PCM detects a misfire than my line of thinking may be that "well since you have a misfire lets disable the cruise control so he cant damage his engine/cat".......thus the CEL and cruise control lights come on

again chances are i am wrong about the above theory......

im sure others will chime in......

usually the only thing that will make the CEL flash on/off is a misfire severe enough to damage the catalytic converter.........not to sure how it is on newer cars

and chances are im wrong here but if the PCM detects a misfire than my line of thinking may be that "well since you have a misfire lets disable the cruise control so he cant damage his engine/cat".......thus the CEL and cruise control lights come on

Thanks for your input, I will get may dad to get the codes pulled and see if the helps shed some more light on it :)

Local dealer confirmed last winter when my 05 CEL came on with the cruise flashing due to loose gas cap. Any CEL will disable the cruise and it's light will flash - for 05 MY and later.

• 4 weeks later...

Any update here? I have the same situation (CEL lit solid, cruise control light flashing). I was expecting a CEL for loose gas cap because I'm testing E85. Didn't expect the flashing cruise light nor non-function of the cruise control. Autozone/Schucks are not that near, but I'll try to get to them (if they're open today).

If I get a code reader, I'll post the outcome, though it'd be nice if the O.P. would follow up with the resolution for him?