Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Went mudding today...

Uberoo

*Before anyone asks, subaru_noob should be along shortly with pics*

I went mudding today.I went up with two full size trucks,an 85 1/2 ton dodge 4x4 and a 90 one ton 4x4 ford.Subaru_noob rode with me because he didn't want his daily driver to get all messed up...or didnt have fuel or something...

So we all head up into the mountains.before we get to the area we were gonna go mudding, we found some muddy hillsides and snow drifts by the road.So we started to play alittle bit. Then the dodge went and tried to play in a snowy field by the road.All was going well until he couldnt push his front pumpkin through the snow pile.Then his front tires caught traction and he exploded the bearing cups for his front axle shaft.So he spent the rest of the day in 2wd.. :dead: He has 32" mud tires..

So then we head up to where we where gonna go play.I change the tires to my tractor tires and im ready to rock.We start down this muddy road.I started to drive in 4LO until I realized with the tractor tires I had all of the traction I needed in FWD.We didnt go more than a 100 yards in when the ford slid into

previous tracks.It just got high centered and wouldnt go any further.Then the dodge slid into a hole and got stuck(2wd only).I was driving behind the two fullsizes and saw that they just got stuck.So I drove off the mud tracks into a clearing beside where the fullsizes had sank,then just parked and turned off the car,and went to go see if I could help them...That didnt work so I got back in the subi went back onto the muddy track and started backing up to see if I could maybe pull the dodge to a spot where it was unstuck because it was able to move 3-4 ft forwards and backwards. So I start backing up to the bed of the dodge,I stopped when I saw that he was still attempting to reverse and unstuck himself.So I move my car up another 30 feet or so to avoid possibly being crashed into if he caught traction.I step out of the subi so I can yell at him to stop so I can attempt to unstuck him,At that moment Joe(My friend in the dodge) gunned the truck to try to move forward.It shot a rooster tail some 40-50 feet.I was about 40 feet away so it starts pelting the subaru and myself with large clumps of mud.I practically dove into the subaru while cussing up a storm.I get him to stop and I back up and we hook a chain up between us.I put it in 4LO and gently took out the slack,then tried to pull the big dodge.My subi with the stripped out interior,welded rear diff and tractor tires actually pulled the big dodge like ten feet,then couldnt pull it anymore. So I backed up like 3 ft and hit it,promtly my left rear tow point rips out of the body. :eek::dead: .even though I pulled it like ten feet it still wasnt enough to unstuck the dodge.So I try to pull the ford out.I couldnt even budge the ford which is a one ton. No matter how hard I tried I didnt have enough weight to dig in and move it,even with 3WD(welded rear and open front) all the poor subi could do was spin the tires and burn the clutch a bit(it seem a EA81 clutch wasnt designed to cope with the loads of tractor tires and a 7K weight stuck in mud...)

Then a Chevy S10 appeared in the distance with a winch and shortly afterward a full size chevy with a winch and boggers came up behind it. The fullsize chevy drives up to where we were to help us out a bit. It first tries the snap pulling with a strap to get the ford out,it moved the ford a little bit.So they try it again with a little more ommph,The strap goes flying.it tore the hook from the winch cable AND ripped off a tow hitch on the back of the ford...So then the big chevy just hookes up a chain and tugs the ford out of its hole.Then the chevy relativly easily pulls the dodge out of its hole.So then all of the occupants of all the vehicles sit around and BS a bit.It turned into a bit of show and tell with my subi.Then I figure with all of the vehicles there I could play a bit.So I start up the subi and head straight for the deepest scariest looking mud patch I could see.Drop it into 4LO and just drive through it.I tried to get the car coated in mud but the tractor tires just hooked up and then it would just go faster through the mud rather than spin mud over the body..Then after I parked the subi again,the driver of the S10 said "Maybe I should get one of those" after seeing the subi just go through mud like it was nothing.

So then the dodge, the ford, and myself turned around and headed for the main road so we could hit the backside of the trail we were runing becuase if they were getting stuck in that section then there would be no hope for them in sections up latter because it was more of a swamp then anything.

so we get to the road we want and get to a little meadow.The ford which was leading tried to drive up a snow/mud/dirt hill.He got about 1/2way up the hill then had to back down.He then tried to drive through some really nasty,deep mud.Both bill(subaru_noob) and myself just watch thinking there is no way hes getting though that.We just watch as he gets maybe 12 feet in and forward momentum stops and he just kinda diggs in.So they hook the dodge up to it and pull it out.Then joe's wife(who was riding in the bed) asked me to drive up over a hill and through some trees to see if there was a way to get around the otherwise impenitrable swamp.I found a way though then I returned to tell joe about the path through.Joe drives up the bypass leaving myself and Adam(drives the ford) together.I go and ask if I could attempt the nasty deep mud,becuase there was a section of 20 ft or so of the mud then hard ground.So I drive in in 4lo and the subi just walts through the stuff.I was gonna turn around in the soupy nasty mud but I knew that the fullsizes couldnt get me out if I go stuck in that area where they couldnt go.So I just reverse back though what id came though.I get to a hole and mud just gets shoveled into the bed of my new trucklet.The car slows down and almost stalls,so I rev up and dump the clutch and it gets out.

So then we play around abit at the part of the meadow that joe had me find a bypass for.Nothing to fancy just mud drifts...Then we settle down for lunch(late lunch really because it was like 4 PM.

Adam gets to talking about how he "highmarked" that snowy mud hill. So I jump in the subi and drive over to there ,then I just drive up the hill and to the other side like it was nothing.On the return trip back to where everyone else was I drove though the really soupy bogger swallowing goop at the edge/middle of the pond.Didnt have a problem other than the car jerking and boucing when ever it found large holes or what not.It seems one of those holes was enough to make one of my street tires fall though my duct tape tailgate unnoticed.That deep really impressive mud wasnt a match for the mighty soob.On returning to where lunch was I noticed that joe was talking to some people at the top of the hill so I drive up that way.I talked to them while joe goes tearing through a snow bank.They were kinda awe of the subaru.Then I tried the snow bank.I get like 10 feet in and the car just sinks through the snow and high centers itself.So the people I was just talking to just give the subaru a quick tug and there on there way.then I rejoin everyone else.we all play a little bit more then leave after bill and I found the tire that went missing.

vehicles and drivers

myself-83 subaru wagon,stripped interior,four door trucklet,26" tractor tires and a welded rear diff

Joe-85 Dodge ram W100 4x4,built 318,new 32" mud tires.

Adam-90 Ford F350 one ton 4x4,285/75/16 all seasons

Bill-PICS

Things Ive learned

-with a front LSD the subi would be unstoppable in mud

-Snow SUCKS

-Dead/dying wipers SUCK

-need to finsh trucklet by using plywood and lexan for the rear of the "cab" and then use plywood for the tailgate.

-check water level if car is running hotter than normal

-fullsize rigs suck offroad-joe needs to not break and adam needs much more agressive tires,and a winch

-need to make more drain holes in "bed" for cleaning.

wow that was long but it was a day long outing.And I only used like a gallon,2 at the max while every one else was using like 1/2 a tank or more.

so the subaru:

-is a POS

-is uncomfortable

-goes anywhere(except snow which is its nemisis)

-doesnt use any gas

*first pic is when the dodge blew its front drive line.

*one of the many times the ferd got stuck

*What the ford looked like after the day

*Yes believe it or not the subaru is actually PULLING the Dodge!!!

*what the dodge looked like after the day.