Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would it take?

Big question, what would it take to convert my Soob to burn alchohol?

I am not talking money, I mean parts and work wise. I have the plans to make a still, and have been thinking about it for a while. I already plan to convert my tractor to straight vegetable oil, or at least bio-diesel. If I can get the car to run on alchohol, that would be even better. I understand that it would not get the same mileage but, that is ok, since I will be makinig my own fuel. If it gets that bad just make a bigger still, or another still. I am just doing a little research right now, and getting opinions.

personally, i think alcocol is a waste of time, but here's a couple sites that *claim* to sell conversion kits:

flextek.com

change2e85.com

just google the names if putting them into the address bar doesn't work, that's what i had to do.

i say its a waste of time because it ethanol (the alcohol i assume you're refering to) doesn't solve our problems. i understand that you're one guy tying to do something for himself though. i've been looking into gasification and the use of hydrogen derrived from dialysis (which many will argue is also a waste of time).

our gov't is selling out it's people to opec, un, "healthcare" corps and the like, we just gotta take matters into our own hands!!

p.s. - IMPEACH BOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RON PAUL FOR PREZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

personally, i think alcocol is a waste of time, but here's a couple sites that *claim* to sell conversion kits:

flextek.com

change2e85.com

just google the names if putting them into the address bar doesn't work, that's what i had to do.

i say its a waste of time because it ethanol (the alcohol i assume you're refering to) doesn't solve our problems. i understand that you're one guy tying to do something for himself though. i've been looking into gasification and the use of hydrogen derrived from dialysis (which many will argue is also a waste of time).

our gov't is selling out it's people to opec, un, "healthcare" corps and the like, we just gotta take matters into our own hands!!

p.s. - IMPEACH BOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RON PAUL FOR PREZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im pretty sure he is talking about alcohol as in like 450 proof everclear type stuff, ethanol is crap, and it will never EVER be able to fuel ANY country.

Im pretty sure he is talking about alcohol as in like 450 proof everclear type stuff...

although the law stating such is clearly unconstitutional, distilling that type of stuff is highly illegal and cuz i'd like to raise my son myself i won't be doing anything like that.

producing fuel-grade methanol is hard to do and it's really best used as a gasoline additive. consult the works of dr. tom reed of the biomass energy foundation, he did a lot of methanol research in the 70's and currently works within the b.e.f. researching and creating pratical applications for gasification.

i thought it was quite interesting to read his article on methanol in the dec '73 issue of science journal. the world has been saying the same thing over and over for decades and the powers that be refuse to let us live on anything but fossil fuels. what kind of people doom their own posterity to the fate that awaits our crashing environment? i guess the same kind that commit genocide to steal a continent, police the globe under the pretense of "democracy," and exploit their fellow citizen's medical needs for cash...god bless america, eh?

but i digress...the article:

http://www.woodgas.com/Science1.pdf

A carbbed soob would need to be re-jetted, at least.

Also you'd probably need to change all your fuel lines, and probably gaskets too.

Most any vehicle will run on alcohol, but getting them started is the hard part. Some people have used a dual-fuel set-up where it starts on gas and then switches over once it warms up enough to run a straight alky.

Distilling alcohol is not illegal depending on how much you make, just selling it is where you get into trouble.

Hey guys:

Lets keep the potitical diatribe off this board. There are many differing schools of thought represented here. We are here to help one another with our vehicles, not to make statements about the government, policies, other personal feelings. Let's keep to subes, Okay?

Distilling alcohol is not illegal depending on how much you make, just selling it is where you get into trouble.

i don't think its really how much you make but what kind you're condensing and collecting. in distilling, there's different types of alcohols that are produced at different temperatures and the different techniques of distilling have methods to collect the different types of those alcohols. from what i read the federal law says that distilling alcohol for the production of liquor (which would be methyl alcohol i think) is illegal without proper licensing, regardless of the intended use of that alcohol/liquor.