Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Georgia members: Any good Subaru repair shops in Atlanta, GA area?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a good Subaru mechanic that I can take my EA82 to get some work done.

Lately, I haven't had the time to work on my EA82 and it's running poorly and needs some more work to be reliable. The car has rarely been driven in the past year because it needs work.

I am looking for a good independent mechanic in the metro Atlanta and surrounding areas. If anyone has some recommendations or knows of a place that specializes on older generation Subaru, the information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Eugene.

I just haven't had the time lately..

Here are the main problems currently:

Oil leak onto driver side manifold (burning/smoking)

Idles poorly

Stalls when cold

High idle when warm (until you blip gas)

Overall feels down on power. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the Hitachi carb.

Unfortunately with emissions inspection, I need to stay with the Hitachi carb or go oem SPFI to stay legal.

needs a new clutch cable

passenger door will not open

Left front axle clicking (have axle / need to be replaced)

I'd like to do new ball-joints as well.

They went overly popular down this away it seems.

They really aren't that hard to fix. A shop is going to charge you a boat load of money to make yours work again. You could try a dealership, but most if the techs there don't even know Subaru had cars from the 80s.

Where in Atlanta are you?

I work on my older VWs myself and they aren't too bad at all.

I also do all the work on my newer Legacy Outback.

However, when it comes to that Hitachi carb on the car.. since it's not a Weber or a Mikuni.. I'm just :confused:

I just don't have the time to fiddle with it and I feel bad that the car sits instead of being driven.

The dealer likes to 'look' at my car, but I don't know if they can do anything to it. A friend of mine works as a tech for a local BMW dealer and my group of friends also own older BMWs (E30s, E28s etc.) and he said, "All the guys that know those cars are retiring and besides, we don't have any of the specialty tools anymore."

I'm in the Norcross, Ga area. Not too far from I-285 and I-85.

Your buddy is right, even if the techs knew what to do, they wouldn't have the tools needed to do much(not that they would need them, but still).

There isn't much you can do with the carb, I would swap it for a Webber. You could look for all the other problems that would cause stalling with a carb-o-rator though. I would bet that its just worn slap out.