Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA2EJ Tranny option

camroc14

k, so I've just bought my first Brat. Everything runs great, its been well taken care of and i'm not actually planning on doing a swap to it right now. But i plan on doing it eventually. I'd like to begin collection some parts for the swap for a 2.2 and i was wonderin about the transmission.

It's an 85Brat and its got the dual range 4 speed.

Here's the questions i have.

1. When doing the swap, I would prefer to change out the transmission so i can avoid transfering the newfound 2.2 power into the old EA tranny. I wouldn't mind a 5 speed either. But time and energy wise, is it going to be more work to put in a new tranny, or get the old one to link up with the new engine?

2. What kind of issues do i need to be aware of when looking at donor cars as far as FULL TIME all wheel drive is concerned. Being the my Brat is front wheel unless i engage it, am i lookin at doing some damage to the car if a pick up a trans that is full time? Would it even be compatible?

3. And lastly, this is just an afterthought, but How much would it cost to just buy a new wiring harness instead of attempting surgery on a subby that i may find a yard which i can't take off the lot? is it even an option. Or is it just so overly priced that its still just worth looking for a donor no matter what.:confused:

1. When doing the swap, I would prefer to change out the transmission so i can avoid transfering the newfound 2.2 power into the old EA tranny. I wouldn't mind a 5 speed either. But time and energy wise, is it going to be more work to put in a new tranny, or get the old one to link up with the new engine?

There is nothing wrong with using the 4 speed. If you are going to swap then do I all at once so you don’t have to re-drill two flywheels.

2. What kind of issues do i need to be aware of when looking at donor cars as far as FULL TIME all wheel drive is concerned. Being the my Brat is front wheel unless i engage it, am i lookin at doing some damage to the car if a pick up a trans that is full time? Would it even be compatible?

I don’t think there is anything wrong w/doing this. You just have to make sure that you get a matching rear diff. IIRC all FT4WD trannys were 3.7 ratio

3. And lastly, this is just an afterthought, but How much would it cost to just buy a new wiring harness instead of attempting surgery on a subby that i may find a yard which i can't take off the lot? is it even an option. Or is it just so overly priced that its still just worth looking for a donor no matter what.

You can get a complete harness sometimes on NASIOC or I-Club. You just have to look. Make sure that you get the one matching the year of the donor. You also might want to see if Shawn has an extra harness he can sell you.

Good Luck

BW

the internals between an EA82 5MT and the early EJ 5MTs are virtually identical. plenty strong. But I would upgrade from the 4-speed. if you're going to be offroading it, you'll want the dual range and true 4WD from an EA82-series trans, otherwise if it's mostly for street use, just use the EJ AWD 5-speed.

although, if using an EJ or EA82t trans, you'll run into axle spline issues.

as for the harness, IIRC a new one from subaru is $700 or so :dead:. but you may find something used, heck, I've got a '96 impreza Lx 2.2 bulkhead harness here that's without a home. was going to put it into an XT here in MN, but that project fell through.

heck, I've got a '96 impreza Lx 2.2 bulkhead harness here that's without a home. was going to put it into an XT here in MN, but that project fell through.

well then i've got a couple more questions for ya.

I'm going to go check out a 96 Legacy EJ22 engine in the next day or two.

they are quoting me like 700 bucks for the engine. If its in decent condition... would you call that a good deal, or should i just keep lookin.

Now i'm not saying i wanna buy, or you would even sell your extra harness... but just for future info... would an impreza harness match up to a legacy engine of the same year?

well then i've got a couple more questions for ya.

I'm going to go check out a 96 Legacy EJ22 engine in the next day or two.

they are quoting me like 700 bucks for the engine. If its in decent condition... would you call that a good deal, or should i just keep lookin.

Now i'm not saying i wanna buy, or you would even sell your extra harness... but just for future info... would an impreza harness match up to a legacy engine of the same year?

Keep looking you can get EJ22's for $200, $100 if you go to a U-Pull yard. For a swap into an EA car, you would want an early 90-94 EJ, less wiring to deal with.

Keep looking you can get EJ22's for $200, $100 if you go to a U-Pull yard. For a swap into an EA car, you would want an early 90-94 EJ, less wiring to deal with.

ideally, i would like to get a 2.2

but should the opportunity present itself, could i follow the same transfer guide for a 2L as i would for the 2.2 are they that much different? i mean would the engine mounting placement be different than what is suggested in the step by step i got off the forum for the 2.2?

Also, I've never rebuilt a suby engine before. i have taken apart and rebuilt a handful of other engines, from full V8's to my little strait 4 2.5L in my GMC S15.

Lets say i find an engine with a few hundred thousand miles on it. I'd really like to go through it and rebuild what i can on my own. And have what could be machined taken care of while i've got it ripped apart.

Can anyone gimmie a list of MUST DO things i should be replacing and looking out for. I seem to get bits and pieces from everyone i talk to. But if there's anyone who is reading this who has personally gone through a few on their own. A list of MUST DO's would be very apreciated.

you would want an early 90-94 EJ, less wiring to deal with.

it's really not. I've done 2 early OBD II harnesses now (one '96 imp EJ22, and another '97 EG33). They're really not any more than the OBD I, all the same wires are there, except it's more important that they're all hooked up (VSS, neutral switch, etc.). only real difference is the location of the plugs on the engine. the OBD I plugs are over next to the battery, which makes it easier to line up with the EA car. but the OBD II ones are certainly do-able.

BUT, remember that starting in 1997, ALL subaru engines are interference. so, a little more power, but IF your tbelt breaks you risk substantial engine damage.

yes, my '96 imp bulkhead harness would match up to a '96 legacy 2.2 engine harness. wire colors are different, but locations are the same.

not sure what 2L you might be referring to. the only 2.0s in the US are WRX turbo ones, starting in 2002. while bolting one up to the trans is exactly the same, you're opening a whole different can of worms with every other aspect of the project.

you can get an entire donor car (I'd HIGHLY recommend this!!! you have a better idea of the condition of the motor, and you know you'll have everything) for less than 700 (around here, rusted out but strong running first gen legacies go for 2-300....).

if the motor already runs, I wouldn't bother rebuilding. but, while it's out, I'd do:

valve cover gaskets (and grommets)

tbelt

main and cam seals

water pump

maybe reseal the oil pan (EJs don't use a gasket from the factory....just RTV, but you can get a gasket from any auto parts store. either way works well)

and all coolant hoses

anything else would be overkill and unnecessary cost (again, assuming you've got a strong running motor, which is virtually impossible to test unless you have the whole donor car).

I'll just add, if it hasn't been said already.

Putting the EA82 part time 4wd or full time 4wd gearbox in will either require a body lift of 2 or more inches or some beating to the transmission tunnel. The transmission crossmember will need modifying, or the old 4sp mounts modified to fit the 5sp box. You will also need the 2 piece propshaft from the EA82 car. You will need to mount the center bearing that the 2 piece propshaft uses as well. Its all pretty easy. The shifter plate and stick is pretty easy to fit as well although the dual range lever will need some thinking and work.

Putting an EJ transmission in will require a modified crossmember. A custom length propshaft is needed as there is no bolt in option from another Subaru (EJ gearbox is slightly shorter then EA82 gearbox, EA82 is a lot shorter then EA81 BTW). The shifter is the same except without having low range its easier. EJ trans bolted to EJ engine with EJ clutch is much easier then mixing, drilling, cutting and grinding the flywheels and adapter plate stuff. Although you can just buy this stuff from a member or two on here. (Sorry, never remember the screen names of these people.)

If you only wanting it for dirt roads and street put the EJ box in. If you want to get into anything that needs an offroad tyre use the dual range EA82 box.

ideally, i would like to get a 2.2

but should the opportunity present itself, could i follow the same transfer guide for a 2L as i would for the 2.2 are they that much different? i mean would the engine mounting placement be different than what is suggested in the step by step i got off the forum for the 2.2?

Also, I've never rebuilt a suby engine before. i have taken apart and rebuilt a handful of other engines, from full V8's to my little strait 4 2.5L in my GMC S15.

Lets say i find an engine with a few hundred thousand miles on it. I'd really like to go through it and rebuild what i can on my own. And have what could be machined taken care of while i've got it ripped apart.

Can anyone gimmie a list of MUST DO things i should be replacing and looking out for. I seem to get bits and pieces from everyone i talk to. But if there's anyone who is reading this who has personally gone through a few on their own. A list of MUST DO's would be very apreciated.

These engines are so cheap used, it's just not cost effective to rebuild one.

it's really not. I've done 2 early OBD II harnesses now (one '96 imp EJ22, and another '97 EG33). They're really not any more than the OBD I, all the same wires are there, except it's more important that they're all hooked up (VSS, neutral switch, etc.). only real difference is the location of the plugs on the engine. the OBD I plugs are over next to the battery, which makes it easier to line up with the EA car. but the OBD II ones are certainly do-able.

BUT, remember that starting in 1997, ALL subaru engines are interference. so, a little more power, but IF your tbelt breaks you risk substantial engine damage.

yes, my '96 imp bulkhead harness would match up to a '96 legacy 2.2 engine harness. wire colors are different, but locations are the same.

not sure what 2L you might be referring to. the only 2.0s in the US are WRX turbo ones, starting in 2002. while bolting one up to the trans is exactly the same, you're opening a whole different can of worms with every other aspect of the project.

you can get an entire donor car (I'd HIGHLY recommend this!!! you have a better idea of the condition of the motor, and you know you'll have everything) for less than 700 (around here, rusted out but strong running first gen legacies go for 2-300....).

if the motor already runs, I wouldn't bother rebuilding. but, while it's out, I'd do:

valve cover gaskets (and grommets)

tbelt

main and cam seals

water pump

maybe reseal the oil pan (EJs don't use a gasket from the factory....just RTV, but you can get a gasket from any auto parts store. either way works well)

and all coolant hoses

anything else would be overkill and unnecessary cost (again, assuming you've got a strong running motor, which is virtually impossible to test unless you have the whole donor car).

Getting a whole car is the easiest way. You can find beater early legacys for a few hundred bucks.

I've stripped down one 96 harness and it's a little more involved. I'd prefer the early ones for a swap, but either will work fine.

Also before putting the engine in, reseal/replace the oil sperator plate on the back of the block.

but if you live in SMOG Nazi land like I do, you will have to hook up all those sensors and such as to not throw a check engine light.

BW