Ultimate Subaru Message Board

legacy with 26" tire?

Scott in Bellingham

they come with 185/75R14 right? That's almost 25". So half an inch around the tyre shouldn't be a problem I would assume.

They might not clear the lower spring seat on the stock Legacy front struts.

You need Outback struts to gain more clearance there..

my 205/75-15 general grabbers measure 26.8 according to tirerack.com. i have outback struts on my car and they just fit. i have maybe 1/4 inch between my rockers and tire. they also rub on the rear mud flaps when hitting bumps. i'm gonna say no because even if they did fit in the wheel openings they would probably rub on the struts.

I have 205/65/15 tires on my 1990 stock legacy wagon. They are pretty close the the rear coil though. You can fit your finger in between the tire and coil, and they are 25.5in tall. So that last half inch is gonna be pretty close to touching the rear coil. I say go for it!!:banana:

Guest northcoast
my 205/75-15 general grabbers measure 26.8 according to tirerack.com. i have outback struts on my car and they just fit. i have maybe 1/4 inch between my rockers and tire. they also rub on the rear mud flaps when hitting bumps. i'm gonna say no because even if they did fit in the wheel openings they would probably rub on the struts.

I've got the same size tires on my '91 wagon with '96 OB struts. I was getting the rub occasionally as well. I tried to fix it by changing my rear trailing arm to one that used a "C" type sway bar link. That was supposed to center the wheel in the well but all it did was increase my ride height minimally and improve the handling. Then I took my sawzall and a hammer to the fender well. No more tire rub but now I need to weld the now separate pieces together and find some trim material for the flare. Ideal solution would be a bolt on plastic fender flares but good luck finding a Subie specific one.

I'll take some pic's tonight if I remember and show you what destruction I've completed so far. I still have the other side to do so it will be a good comparison.

Then I took my sawzall and a hammer to the fender well. No more tire rub but now I need to weld the now separate pieces together and find some trim material for the flare. Ideal solution would be a bolt on plastic fender flares but good luck finding a Subie specific one.

I'll take some pic's tonight if I remember and show you what destruction I've completed so far. I still have the other side to do so it will be a good comparison.

You probably had to pull off the rubber trim that is around the edge of the wheel opening. What I've done is reuse that trim on the newly cut edge. just get some nice small trim screws and screw it on.

No way 26's wil fit with stock struts. OB struts it will fit for sure.

Only way round it would be some wheels with a different backspacing to put the tire out a bit further from the strut. Then stock Legacy struts might work with 26's

Guest northcoast

I did pull off the trim. Now to find which pile I threw it in. :)

Before

05-28-08_2024.jpg

After

05-28-08_2023.jpg

Scott...Do you have a tube bumper and lift kit for the '90-'94 Legacy yet? Send me a PM.