Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant temperature sensor, 95 "outback", ej22

I'm getting an engine check light and obd2 reading "engine coolant temp malfunction." The car runs fine and passes inspection, but I want to solve this issue, with any help I can get from this enthusiasic forum. I think I've located the coolant temp sensor buried under wires under the right intake manifold, and it seems I can a socket in there to remove it, but either I don't have the right size or I'm mistaken altogether. Any hints on solving this? What size socket, maybe 21MM? Thanks.

1995...well im not sure if you have the same thing as i do on my 96 legacy ej22 but i have 2 coolant temp sensors....1 for the gauge and 1 for the computer/fans whatever.....if you say your gauge is fine than i would replace the one for the computer......

I found a thread that pictured a mini tear down of everything around the sensor to get at it. However, I just moved the air intake ducts and removed one 12mm. bolt holding a wire "carriage" mount so I could manuever an extension and 19mm. socket to remove the sensor. Not so difficult, but hard to find a way initially. Yes, quite a bit of coolant escaped, now to burp the baby again. Thanks for the response!