Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it tough to swap out the bearing on a 2.5 P.S. pump?

To get the bearing out you need to more or less disassemble the pump.

I rebuilt my ps pump and put in a fresh bearing. Bearing cost me like $15-$20, and the rebuild kit wasn't too much. The bearing is pressed onto the shaft, but can be pressed off. I've got some pictures of my rebuild, which may help show what's involved.

www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/psteeringpump

Power is out at my house right now, so my server is down. It should be up in an hour or two. Hopefully.

I just rebuilt the P/S pump on my EJ22 Impreza. I don't know if it's the same or not, but I would bet the innards are. Rebuild kit (List price around $35) from Subaru came without the bearing (???) but the original bearing was okay but I figured I'd replace it anyway since you have to press it off to replace the main oil seal. Bearing number was 6302.

Only problem I had was when the impeller separated from the rest and the little vanes all fell out:eek: . But it all went together again (curved part of the vanes is OUT).

And be warned, it is a messy job since you can't get all the ATF out no matter how much you try.

The bearing on my pump was an NSK 6202V

Check out my thread on the legacycentral bbs for some details/info

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=24143&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=power+steering+pump

Here's a blurb from one of my posts regarding the bearing

If you want to buy the bearing online and can't find it locally, you should be able to buy it here

https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mi/motion.jsp

You'll want an NSK 6202 VV C3 BRG

The VV code says that it's sealed on both sides.

The C3 is the tolerances inside. The standard bearing is like C2 which is slightly tighter tolerances. The guy at the counter said C3 is pretty much what you find in most everything, and that's what I got. You'd probably be fine with either.

The bearing on my pump was an NSK 6202V

Check out my thread on the legacycentral bbs for some details/info

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=24143&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=power+steering+pump

Here's a blurb from one of my posts regarding the bearing

Interesting that Fuji would use differenent bearings for essentially the same job. I had to go out to the car and check the parts I pulled out of the pump (addiction means not being able to throw anything away:rolleyes: ). I mis-reported the bearing number. I should have reported a 6203L8 manufactured by NTN. I'm sorry for my error but I know I put the right one in. I repair lab equipment for a living and we happened to have 6203's in stock. Sealed on both sides and I'm sure what we use is high quality since they are used in electric motors that spin up to 20,000 rpm. It's also possible that someone rebuilt my pump before I did. I'll try to be more accurate in reporting next time.

Interesting, I checked your pics and your kit is different from mine. Mine had the same metal gasket, large o-ring, TWO small o-rings, AND an oil seal. As I said earlier, no bearing. Apparently, different pumps have different innards although the pump portion with the vanes looks identical unless the size is different.