Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My spider grears don't function right.....

TeamCF

So I gave in.

There's something not stock about how my Soob comes up this trail. :)

Now if I could only get the right rear axle out.

I can get the left one out (but I have to drop the diff to do so)

I can get the right off the diff if I loosen the rear diff mounting bolts and jack the car up. Then I still have to pry on it. I thought there was more room than that. :confused:

But the right one is frozen onto the axle stub good. Came off the diff just fine but I used about a 1/2 can of PB blaster and lots of pulling banging prying. I would use heat, but I don't have cyninders or hose to go with my torch set. :rolleyes:

I drenched it down, and am just gonna baby it on the street. After all, the only pavement it sees is what I need to drive on to get to the dirt. Only a play toy now.

I'll give it a few days to soak and try getting the axle out again.

There's something not stock about how my Soob comes up this trail

I would tend to agree... it looks like some kind of camera trick the way it retains traction with all those wheels off the ground... I'd have to zig zag up that thing... looks fun though...

how's it do on the road?

at least it's not your daily driver so you can get away with it...

--Spiffy

Nice job hey it took a really big punch to get all mine off it got to the point when I went to the junk yard and replaced the input shaft and axle to replace the right side

Yeah I've hammered and hammered. Like I said, comes off the diff just fine. but not at the wheel side. I'm sure it willl break free eventually.

I would tend to agree... it looks like some kind of camera trick the way it retains traction with all those wheels off the ground... I'd have to zig zag up that thing... looks fun though...

how's it do on the road?

at least it's not your daily driver so you can get away with it...

--Spiffy

Seems fine on the road as long as I stay away from sharp turns. Can always feel it wanting to pull the car straight.

with those small tires you should be fine on the street.Just as long as you dont hammer the gas when your turning sharp...

That's what I was thinking. They are just under 26". Not like the big mudders that most peeps have on when breaking things.

You only need to remove one axle to save tire wear and drive train stress when driving on the street.

Oh yeah. But the trouble is I can't get either out at the moment. :) (I know the right one is supposed to be the easier one)

Sorry, I thought that you had gotten the left side out.

Would be good to get both freed up in case you ever brake one anyway.

I'm running 27" Super Swampers with a welded rear, I haven't been bothered by its on road manners. The extra wear and tear on the tires and axles is what bothers me.

I'm am going to put a 3.9 LSD together for mine and run that for a while to see which I like better.

Sorry, I thought that you had gotten the left side out.

Would be good to get both freed up in case you ever brake one anyway.

I'm running 27" Super Swampers with a welded rear, I haven't been bothered by its on road manners. The extra wear and tear on the tires and axles is what bothers me.

I'm am going to put a 3.9 LSD together for mine and run that for a while to see which I like better.

Well I can get the left one out. It's all anti-seized up! :headbang:

But it needs about another 3/4 inch in order to remove it with the diff in the car. I got the right one off the diff. (had to because I just bought an already welded diff and replaced the whole thing)

But it won't come off at the wheel end. I'm sure all the Blaster I sprayed in the spring pin hole after driving it out, will work it's way around and it'll come free next time I try. :)

You don't need to. Only one axle must be removed. Don't worry about the other side.

I know.

My right, and easy to remove one at the trails, is frozen on the axle stub at the wheel. (I'm gonna go beat on it some more tonight, it's been soaking in the PB Blaster)

The left one comes off on both ends but to take it in and out in the field requires dropping the diff on my car. So I need to get the right one free. And leave the left one in. :)

Now all I need to do is find a deep torx socket for changing out diff stubs if I break one. Can't find the socket for sale anywhere around me. :-\

But that thing is frozen on good.

I have shredded a rear tire worse than I thought with the steel belts hanging out. (upon taking it off to get at the axle better I noticed it)

Open diff is going back in. The trouble is not worth the traction.

I don't have the time or money for it. :-\

Supposed to hit TSF with a bunch of guys sunday and I can't be having this thing giving me grief.

I'll have fun on the wimpy trails. :)