Ultimate Subaru Message Board

note: i don't know much about struts.

a front right strut in a 97 Impreza Outback Sport is very wet, looks like it's leaking? i guess oil from the strut. how does that happen, what causes it, what problems would it cause, etc?

i ended up swapping it out tonight but just curious about it.

i don't know much about struts

Just an oversize shock absorber with provision for a spring welded to the case.

how does that happen, what causes it,

Like a hydraulic cylinder that it is: worn seals, be it normal wear, or maybe some rust/imperfection on the piston shaft.

what problems would it cause

Same as a leaking shock.

These, and shock absorbers, cause a real "head problem" for me, well, not a "head problem", but how about just one of those things I feel really ripped off about. Once upon a time shocks, and struts, were cheap as dirt, a disposable controlled action hydraulic cylinder, $8 and $12 respectively. Then the bright idea about gas filling these things happened, resulting in escalated cost, due to manufacturing cost (yes, right) and shipping cost (they became gas filled pressure vessels, hence hazardous). Let me assure you, the gas leaks by the seals (replaced by old fashioned air) long before the paint stops shining. In fact I have had occasion to cut apart a year old pair of domestically made struts, lifetime warranty, blue ones, and never mind the absence of "gas", the oil inside was water contaminated, no external sign of leaking oil though.

Sorry, rant over.

Yup leaking shock or strut means its dying.

Sorry to go just a little bit OT but did you guys get "Bilstein" models in the USA? Cars that had specially tuned bilstein struts.....identified by a wee badge on the back and bright yellow struts.

did you guys get "Bilstein" models in the USA?

Not that I know of in Canada, here Bilstien has a very limited catalogue, and with the nearest distributor 4000 miles distant from me, and the afore mentioned "dangerous goods" designation, they aren't about to get too popular.

what problems would it cause

Same as a leaking shock.

i don't know anything about struts/shocks - what happens as they fail? will the strut, give, break, dive...or what?

anyone had this happen? i'm surprised as much leakage as i saw that i didn't notice any symptoms...seemed to perform well, though i did hear a very slight "rattle" on hard bumps and such, maybe that was the strut?

I think every car owner on the planet has had this happen. As the oil leaks from the shock it loses its ability to dampen the bumps in the road.

Ive driven a XT turbo and my old 89' Legacy sedan with completely empty rear struts and it was not a happy place to be. On cornering the inside rear wheel would just bounce around and even lose contact with the road. You might also notice the corner of the car with the dodgy stut will continue bouncing after youve hit a bump.

They dont fail catastrophically (like snap in half and rip your wheel off) they just slowly get worse untill your car handles dangerously. Most good shocks can be rebuilt but usually its cheaper to replace them.

Im not looking forward to the day my factory Bilsteins start leaking as its near $1000 to get a pair rebuilt or replaced. Original pink STI struts are almost cheaper

i don't know anything about struts/shocks - what happens as they fail? will the strut, give, break, dive...or what?

anyone had this happen? i'm surprised as much leakage as i saw that i didn't notice any symptoms...seemed to perform well, though i did hear a very slight "rattle" on hard bumps and such, maybe that was the strut?

It is hard to explain until you put a new set of struts on and feel the difference. It's kinda counter-intuitive to do that. Most of us like to have a specific diagnosis before we start wasting money and throwing new parts at a perceived problem.

Simplistically the spring on a car likes to oscillate and vibrate. Dampeners (shock absorbers) counter this. Imperfections in the road sets the springs off, the dampener keeps the spring from going back and forth a gazillion times and if gas charged, can help them return to the factory ride height in a much shorter amount of time.

The strut's dampening ability wears out so gradually that you may never notice. The ultimate end to a strut failure is complete loss of dampening and can result in some or all of the following: excessive brake dive, tires hopping down the highway, the car bouncing/oscillating all around after hitting a bump or pothole. All of this results in other components taking on more wear such as, strut mounts, tires, ball joints, suspension bushings and etc. With it leaking fluid externally, it won't be that long before the strut loses all dampening ability. Depending on the rate of leak, dampening ability loss may be gradual or quick.

The leak may have happened from some or all of the following:

-A severe suspension crash through

-An impact in that corner in an accident

-manufactering defect

-very corrosive environment

-Gradual wear over time and the internal seals just had enough