Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what would be easier

what do u guys think i should do i have a 88 GL wagon with 300 thousand miles on it runs great still and i just bought a 94 legacy wagon with the 2.2 in it and a bad trans for 400 bucks should or could i put the trans out of my 88

with the low rang in it or would it be easier to put the 2.2 in the GL bolth cars

are in good shape i am looking to make an off road beast so i can show up the jeeps in moab .:headbang:

those two vehicles engines and transmissions are not interchangeable directly. it's not hard (define hard?), but it will require some work.

the dual range in the legacy will require an adapter plate and some minor work to get it to fit.

the EJ into the GL will require the complete wiring harness, ECU or converting it to carb (bleh!).

you didn't say how many miles were on the legacy. 300,000 is a lot of miles. people are going to post about knowing someone with one that has twice that many or something like that, but in reality they start having issues at some point and you're past that point! to make 400k or 500k would be the exception, not the rule....but hey, it's cool to be the exception!

thanx for the info the legacy has 180 on the clock the only thing i wasn't sure about was weither the axle would fit into the older trans and the drive line issues but adapter plates and new holes in floor don't bother me but wiring does and thats why i asked the question :headbang:

oh and the legacy is an auto not a stick my GL is an awsome car it just keeps going it has power windows and locks and A/C and it all still works

it doesn't like the A/C though

do you think i should get rid of the auto and find a legacy with a stick

thnx:grin:

legacy's are so easy to find cheap that i wouldn't waste my time with a conversion, but that's up to you. it'd be easier to fix it, sell it, and find the manual you're looking for. but there's never one thing that fits every ones situation either.

sometimes the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" line is a good one...sounds like you might want to keep running that 300k GL for awhile, there's just something going right with that car!

the axles will be a bit of an issue, but that's workable as well.

ya ur probably rght ill just find a stick and about the axles what all would i need to do to get them to fit the old trans im shure i can find one in the junk

yard but thank's for the insight seems like u know alot about these cars :headbang:

For off-roading, I'd put the EJ22 in the older GL wagon.... the dual range in the legacy would be nice, but it's a bit heavier softer sprung car -- not idea for offroading. Having the same power and gearing in the GL will be alot nicer -- plus I'm not sure if you can buy lift kits for the legacies (you can do other stuff, but the actual lift kits, if you're not into fabricating your own, seem to be for the EA81 and EA82 cars.

Z