Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with '94 Legacy clutch replacement please!

Hi, I need some suggestions. I am trying to replace the clutch in my '94 Legacy wagon 2.2L, and I've run into some snags. I have a Chilton on Subaru as a guide. I've gotten everything disconnected as far as I can tell, yet the trans is still hung up on something I've got about a 1" gap around the top, but it won't come loose. Only thing the Chilton said to do that I didn't do was to remove the release lever shaft. Says to screw a bolt into it to drive it out. Only problem with that is my car has nothing that looks like the drawings, nor does it seem to have a hole to thread a 6mm bolt into. Big questions I have are, for one thing, what about the drive shaft out of the trans? The book mentions nothing about what to do with that, but it seems the trans has to move back. Any help is appreciated, I'm pretty mechanical, but I've never done a clutch before. Thanks!

make sure the bolts/nuts are all removed and everything is free to come out. i's easy to forget one. but - the engine can be a brute to separate some times. just keep working a chisel around the gaps.

there are dowel pins between the engine and trans, they can be hard to separate. just keep working your way around the existing gap you have. the seaparation should be evident around the bottom as well before it'll come free - not just the top (that's the "easy" part!).

everything has to work out too - motor mounts have to be out of the holes, dowel pins have to free up, etc. some PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or Deep Creep on the dowel pins may help (WD40 not a good alternative).

just make sure everything is properly detached...it's easy to forget one thing.

Thanks! Just to be sure, there are only 4 bolts that hold the engine to the trans, correct? That's all I could find.

Did you disconnect the Dogbone mount to thte top/front of trans?

Did you disconnect the ground wire from top center of trans to body?(near dogbone mount)

Did you remove the starter? It may be hitting the trans tunnel if you didn't. Or if you left it, did you disconnect the Pos battery cable from it???(after removing the Negative from battery)

If you are trying to pull the transtodo the clutch, yes, there are 4 things to take off-2 bolts on top, and 2 nuts on bottom that actually hold eng/trans together. But double check for CV Shafts, dog bone, exhaust attachement to trans mission in back, shifter linkage, etc. thatcan be holding the trans from moving. First time I did my Legacy I pulled trans mission, swore I would never go that route again and raised engine next time-MUCH easier, most work ABOVE the car as opposed to under it-and mine is a FWD only so no drive shaft toworry about-it prolly needs to come out or at least be dropped to allow trans to be moved back.

let us know how you do on this and if need more help