Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Legacy Wagon L AC Compressor?

A click started to sound off after start up. I think it is coming from the AC compressor, maybe near the pulley.

At first the click was louder once the AC was turned ON, but now it is there all the time. Goes away a bit when reved up, but seems to always be there.

The AC is working as usual, and no other symptoms.

Thoughts? Advice?

er um, have you popped the hood to look to see if the click matches the ac compressor clutch engaging?

nipper

Although I cannot see the AC clutch as there is some sort of bracket above the compressor (can barely see the leading edge of the pully), the click, tick, whatever sound would only be noticeable when the AC was ON. When OFF there was no sound. Wife noticed the sound was there upon start up when the AC was OFF.

Now the clicking ticking whatever is there all the time.

Although I cannot see the AC clutch as there is some sort of bracket above the compressor (can barely see the leading edge of the pully), the click, tick, whatever sound would only be noticeable when the AC was ON. When OFF there was no sound. Wife noticed the sound was there upon start up when the AC was OFF.

Now the clicking ticking whatever is there all the time.

I wonder if your slowly loosing refrigerant, not enough to affect cooling, but enough to make the compressor short cycle. I THINK the clicking your hearing is the clutch engaging and disengaging.

nipper

I wonder if your slowly loosing refrigerant, not enough to affect cooling, but enough to make the compressor short cycle. I THINK the clicking your hearing is the clutch engaging and disengaging.

nipper

When I had it in for the oil leak the mechanic said that it was lacking a little fluid, but I cant afford that service right now.

The clicking sure doesn't sound like it is supposed to do that? I can hear it from afar while car is idling in driveway. It is a new sound I hadn't heard before and figured I would have under normal operation, but maybe not.

Would a bad bearing cause some clicking while it is rotating?

AC is checked using a set gauges to check the pressure of the gas in the system. It is not a little fluid. You should be checking all your fluids regularly and topping off as needed.

The ac compressor is loud when it engages as it is an electro-mechanical clutch.

No a bearing wont click like an ac clutch.

If you have the ac off, if it is the coolant pressure being low the noise should stop. If you look at the front of the ac pulley, it will spin when engaged, and not spin when off.

How fast is this clicking noise that you are hearing.

nipper

AC is checked using a set gauges to check the pressure of the gas in the system. It is not a little fluid. You should be checking all your fluids regularly and topping off as needed.

The ac compressor is loud when it engages as it is an electro-mechanical clutch.

No a bearing wont click like an ac clutch.

If you have the ac off, if it is the coolant pressure being low the noise should stop. If you look at the front of the ac pulley, it will spin when engaged, and not spin when off.

How fast is this clicking noise that you are hearing.

nipper

I'll check these things and get back to you.

Thanks,