Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever? EA82 AT to 5 Speed HI/LOW

3eyedwagon

I did a search, and it yielded few results.

3rd gen / EA82

Has anyone ever swapped one of these from an AUTOMATIC TO A 5 SPEED? I would be doing a HI/LOW, just fyi.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever done it, and if so; what all is required.

Here's a short list of what I think would need to be done. Anyone who knows better; please fill me in.

-Need 5 speed, with linkage, and all the clutch goodies

-Need 5 speed trans cross member

-Need 5 speed driveline (I have no idea on the length of the one from an AT)

-Need 3.9 rear end to match the 5 speed

-Need complete clutch pedal assembly/clutch cable, etc. (Is this a remove/bolt in situation, or is there some fabrication involved?)

-???Need Hubs all around??? ???Different Spline Count from AT to 5 speed??? I have no idea on this.

-Fabricate linkage for 5 speed (no big deal, the car would be lifted at the same time)

-Cut suitable opening in trans tunnel for 5 speed linkages (again, no big deal)

-Either hang carrier bearing, or make one-piece driveline

That's about all I can think of. If anyone here has done this, please let me know of any problems you encountered.

THANKS! :burnout:

good news is there's hardly any differences between EA82's as far as this is concenred so this swap is no different than all the others that have been done. so this should make it easy to get info from here and others!

we can guess based on questions...but is it FWD and what year/model vehicle are you doing?

the easiest way to do a 5 speed swap is to have a complete donor car. piecing one together is really annoying and can end up costing way more money too. there's really no reason to piece it together. i've gotten (and refused) plenty of free subaru's...and passed on plenty of really cheap ones too, it's just not worth it to piece together.

the spline difference is from non-turbo to turbo. you current vehicle is a non-turbo? if so then if you get a trans from a non-turbo the axles will easily swap.

if you get a 5 speed trans from a turbo vehicle the splines will differ but the only thing you need is turbo axles. then just swap the inner joints or swap the entire axle. the hub sides are all identical, so no need to swap those.

you'll need the rear gear ratio to match...but that like the spline count doesn't vary due to 5 speed or not (not for EA82's anyway). maybe someone else can verify which you'll need. RX transmissions for instance are 3.7 final drives.

a guy on the xt6 forum swapped from auto FWD to AWD 5 speed. lots of pictures and details there, you definitely should check that out.

the rear driveshaft is easy - just get the front half. the rear halfs are the same so if you currently have 4WD (though i think you might not based on infeering from your questions). anyway - all the rear halves are the same auto verse manual. so even if you need both, this makes it easier to find the rear half, that can come from either - the front only needs to come from the manual trans.

the carrier bearing support bolts won't be there if it's a FWD but the bosses and place for them should be.

if this is a FWD to AWD conversion i woudlnt' even attempt this without an entire parts car. that would be a complete waste of time.

yes - the pedal assembly is removable, just unbolt and remove. the biggest tip i can give you there is just to remove the steering column, trim and whatever to get it out of your way. trying to remove minimal parts makes this job very annoying sometimes

i've noticed on some vehicles the manual trans have some apparatus on the brake master cylinders...i think it's for the hill holder mechanism. you'll have to decide if you want that or not.

and you'll need the 4WD vacuum hoses, fittins, and solenoids.

it's nice to swap the dash too, get a manual trans dash. although they are very similar and you "might" be able to convert an auto to a manual dash, never tried.

and of course you'll need a flywheel.

my loyale was a 3AT FWD, and is now FT4WD D/R 5MT.

before I touch the 4wd stuff. is your car 4wd? or not...I'm assuming it is.

if it is, you'll be looking at zero fabrication, entirely bolt-in.

I did the pedal box with the steering column in, just unbolted from the dash and let it drop, then slid the pedal box over it and reconnected. again, bolt-in.

linkage won't need any fabrication. I've got a little issue with mine being a bit too far back, but I think that has more to do with the PT4WD linkage on the FT4WD trans. the stud where the back of the linkage bolts to the driveshaft tunnel is even there.

if it's 4wd, the carrier bearing mounts are in the right place. just swap on the new front driveshaft half, and you're set.

the gauge cluster is a tricky one. as the center section (with all the indicator lights) is wired completely differently. while one of the plugs is identical, it's pinned differently. go ahead, plug a MT cluster into an AT car.....all kinds of crazy lights will come on :eek: I left the AT one there....but hope to switch to an RX one soon. but mechanically identical, will fit right in.

also, make sure it's in Park before you pull the battery, or you won't be able to get your key out! (well, it can be fooled....ask me how I know........but I don't know if I could do it again).

I've done the swap and I'll give my thought and suggestions.

First off, Numbchux is right about it being a complete bolt in IF the car was originally 4wd. If not, depending on the year, it'll have a carrier bearing mount or not. I believe '88 and newer do but '87 and older do not. I fabbed one up out of some scrap steel. The list is as following:

tranny

clutch and flywheel

tranny crossmember

shift linkages

pedal cluster

speedo cable

clutch cable

driveshaft (or the first piece of a manual tranny shaft)

instrument cluster

interior center console plastic for cosmetic

matching rear end if going from a 3.7 -> 3.9

axles depending on swap

So firstly we need to know WHAT the car orignally is starting out with, engine, tranny, 4wd or 2wd. Second, the 3AT is the easier swap compared to the 4EAT. You'll need to put a jumper wire into the electrical connection at the AT shifter for the neutral safety switch. If you have cruise control, it'll disable it since the car will always think its in Neutral or Park so a secondary switch can be put in to make it think its in Drive but remember, if you forget to switch the switch back, it won't start. Also, a pointer. When installing the pedal cluster, remove the steering column, it'll make life easier. You'll need to unbolt the ECU from the steering column which is 3 nuts, take the 2 main bolts out that support the column and take out the pinch bolt in the u-joint in the engine compartment. It'll also have 3 or 4 electrical plus to undo but its nothing major. It sounds like a lot of work but really it only takes a few hours since its just a tranny swap with some extra parts.

I don't actually have a car, as of yet. I have however been finding alot of cheap 4wd automatic Loyales. They are much more plentiful than the HI/LOW cars here as of late. I am basically wondering as to the time/cost of doing this conversion VERSUS waiting and finding the right car with most of the parts already on it.

I have 3 in mind. Two are sedans, one wagon. All are 4wd, and all are automatics. They are all late 80s to very early 90s.

This car will be a LIFTED wheeler, so things like dash lights, fabricating shifter linkages, cutting small holes, making a driveline, etc. WILL NOT be of any real concern.

All 3 are non-turbos, and that is a relief, as I don't care much to mess with adapter CV's. Especially on a vehicle that will be wheeled, and will probably wear out CV's more commonly than a street rig.

Thanks for the info guys!