Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seeing no one wants my SPFI.....

I don't have any EA82 manifolds or I would take you up on that. But generally they aren't too expensive from a yard.

Have you considered just swapping the carbbed car to SPFI? It's actually quite easy on the EA82's since there's no modifications neccesary - everything just bolts together and you run a few wires and fuses. No more difficult than installing a stereo really.

GD

I know you find this hard to believe, but I really like my Hitachi. I read what is involved with the swap, doesn't perk me up one bit. You must really like wires, sensors and such. I'm just too old school.

Wish there was a yard within 150 miles. :/

You must really like wires, sensors and such. I'm just too old school.

I'm pretty old-school myself actually. Ran a lot of carbs and still have a Weber on my hatch.

It's not a matter of liking wires and sensors and such - it's a matter of wanting what fuel injection offers and then taking an hour or two to read through the factory service manual and get acquainted with the system.

The SPFI is actually quite simple - it comes from an era where fuel injection was, by it's very nature, so much more efficient than carbs, that it didn't need anything "extraeneous" to satisfy the bunny hugger's. It consists of only half a dozen sensors, all of which are easily tested with a DMM in minutes. No special tools are required to make use of it's self-diagnostic system. It neatly compensates for engine wear by it's very nature. Rather than trying to force feed the engine what your seat-of-the-pants dyno thinks it needs, it receives feedback in the form of airflow, temperature, and exhaust oxygen content and gives the engine precisely what IT wants. Change to a better exhaust, or a different cam profile and NO tuneing is required. The engine will get exactly what it needs, all the time, no fuss.

I gaurantee that the SPFI system will outlast any carb. No (non feedback) carb out there can compensate for engine wear, and being mechanical they will naturally break down faster. The SPFI system is well known to last 250k+ without ANY failures.

I understand your unwillingness to change, but give it a chance and learn something new in the process. I like carbs too, but SPFI brings things to the table that no carb can compete with. Performance and economy with virtually no maintenance or tuning. One has to appreciate that and by all rights any gear head worth his salt should immediately want to know more.

GD

I dont even think I would run a Weber. The Hitachi is a pretty fine carb. Low maintenance, durable, easy to rebuild. I have 253K on this one. Only issues I have ever had is icing, which was my fault. Easily corrected but should have a better system for it. Maybe something like a small planes de-icing setup, all manual.

GD, I understand what you are saying. I just dont like wires and hoses and sensors. I dont have a sensor on my '86 and I am happy. Ok, I confess, I do have the anti-diesel hooked up, but thats the only wire....oops, and the choke.

Dont give up on me yet. If you can devise a FI to operate with an external [2 hr add on], SIMPLE, wiring setup, I might go for it. I just tore all this '88 stuff apart, there sure is a lot of extra stuff on the engine. A lot more than I even expected.

Hitachi's definitely weren't horrible carbs. They have a problem being overly complex in the later years (EA82's) as they used the same carb for both feedback and non. Thus they have metering ports that require some form of external control for optimum performance. That control comes in the form of either a full feedback computer control as in the case of California models and Federal 2WD's, or it's a mess of vacuum hoses, thermo-vacuum valves, and orifices as in the case of the Federal 4WD's. This system doesn't lend itself to maintenance when those parts are rather expensive and eventually will be unavailible.

The Weber in contrast has none of that. It's as simple as a carb gets and *can* have no wireing at all if you so choose. The parts will be availible forever, and they are high-quality which is often not the case with the Hitachi rebuild parts as they are not in demand and may soon be entierly unavailible.

I *could* design a bolt-on SPFI system. It would sit in a water-tight box in the spare tire shelf and would need only a few wires to work. I could make it require even fewer wires by using Mega-Squirt instead of the stock ECU setup. And I may do that someday. Unfortunately I have more projects going than I have fingers and toes and that one doesn't fill any requirements that I have right now.... although it would be cool, it would also be more expensive than anyone with a need for it is likely to fork over so the market unfortunately isn't there. I would have to sell each one for $1000 to make it worth my time and effort as the MS parts alone would probably be about $600.

GD

I dont even think I would run a Weber.

Dont give up on me yet. If you can devise a FI to operate with an external [2 hr add on], SIMPLE, wiring setup, I might go for it. I just tore all this '88 stuff apart, there sure is a lot of extra stuff on the engine. A lot more than I even expected.

The Weber is a great carb, about as good as any carb can get.

As far as the SPFI, I just bought MY VERY FIRST SPFI car about a week ago now. I will admit, at first I was against it. I didn't like the idea, and I would've much preferred a carb'd car in favor of swapping in a Weber. To compound this problem, the SPFI setup was acting poorly. It had some problems, and the previous owner just stopped driving it as a solution. After limping it home with the help of a friend, I decided to give it a go. The problem ended up being a Throttle Positioning Sensor, a problem I had never before dealt with. With just a little research on here, asking some quesitons, testing some sensors, asking a few more questions, and trying again; I had solved the problem ON MY OWN. Now, I obviously had help from people here, and friends. But, ultimately I got to the bottom of the problem. I am no genius, but I was able to fix it, and now the car runs great.

Now I am glad that I scored on an SPFI car. With just a little bit of research I found out how incredibly simple these systems are, and now I have the benefit of fuel injection. I have no need to pump the gas when the car is cold. I just start it, and walk away. Plus, I got to use that incredibly expensive digital multi-meter that I had invested in awhile back.

I had always wondered why so many people on here raved about the SPFI system. Now I know why. I highly encourage you to learn all you can about it, and enjoy it. This board is an excellent place to start, as there are ALOT of people on here who not only know these systems well, but, more importantly; they are willing to take the time to help you figure it out.

I had problems with a 'cam positioning sensor' on time. It left me, my wife and out 2 month old stranded at the top of a remote mountain pass, with no way out. That was my last doings with a computered rig...especially one I paid $37K for. It just not worth it to me. I have never had a carb fail me, to the point I cant get it home.

I've beat this bush before, but thats my story. Plus, I dont mind 'pumping' the gas pedal once to start my car.

I had problems with a 'cam positioning sensor' on time. It left me, my wife and out 2 month old stranded at the top of a remote mountain pass, with no way out. That was my last doings with a computered rig...especially one I paid $37K for.

Was that a subaru? I hope you didn't pay that much for an EA82 SPFI :) I like my old truck with a 70's carbureator on it, but the 80's carbs that I've owned were awful... I'll take control wires over vacuum lines any day.

No, it was a 2000 Powerstroke. Wife drives a '72 F100 with points, 1 vacuum hose and a carb...flawless!

Yeah... one vacuum line (to the vacuum advance) is good. My '76 Ford Courier has four or five lines, but still not bad -- starts up in any weather fine, and runs nice.

I have mixed feelings about any electronics for autos made by europeans or americans.... the VW diesels with electronic controls are great..... when they are working... but they are also prone to problems like you had with the powerstroke. And Lucas or GM..... :eek: The subaru's I've owned with fuel injection have all been good though.

You can be just as screwed if you don't carry a spare coil on a '72.... it matters less what you drive and more what your know and what spares you carry.

Would you go camping with no water and take the chance that you'll find some along the way? Would you visit a remote mountain pass without spare fuses?

Eliminate the risk by carrying spare parts. That's one reason the SPFI is an excellent choice - it can tell you what is wrong, and parts are plentiful and accessible. A small box under the seat will carry all the spare's you need.

Saying the SPFI is more likely to strand you is a specious argument because only YOU can prevent yourself from being stranded - in any car, bicycle, or on foot. YOU have to be prepared and that goes right back to my former statements about educating yourself about your equipment.

GD

My '76 Ford Courier has four or five lines, but still not bad -- starts up in any weather fine, and runs nice.

It's been so long since I've seen a Courier I forgot what they look like. How about a photo? :)

(sorry for the hijack)