Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Accel superstock part #

I'm running the 8140 Universal Accel Super Stock. It's rated to run on a 472 cubic inch cadillac engine so I think it puts out plenty of power for our little buggers :) One of the things I swiped for the Subaru before selling my hot rod :D

I dunno why youd get one off ebay. They are cheap and should be instock at any reputable parts store.

#8140 is Accel's "universal" coil so pretty much everyone sells that part. I bought mine from AutoZone straight off the shelf for $29.99 (they are available for $27.50 at Summit Racing (part#ACC-8140)).

The coil is just a little bit smaller diameter than the stock coil but very close and is the identical shape. My stock bracket didn't want to hold it quite as tight as the stock coil but it holds it tight enough.

FYI, the 8140C is the "chrome" version (the standard model is yellow).

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased one of these coils and installed it yesterday (I paid too much, but when you need it, you need it!).

My stock coil was waaay out of spec...............The Accel unit bolts in with no modification, other than having to tighten down the clamp screw to get a decent grip on the coil.

No HP gain to speak of, but Definately a BIG gain on the low-end rpm response..........seems to have better torque and smoother acceleration.

After installing one of these; is it necessary to re-gap the spark plugs? If so, what to? :confused:

What about for a 1981 Subaru DL 1800 5 speed? I thought they were supposed to be gapped at 35.

I bought an accel coil and am thinking of installing it. Should I regap my spark plugs? If I do this, how can I get an increase in power but no increase in gas mileage?

If the car burns the fuel more completely, doesn't that translate into better MPG?

• 1 year later...

I was also lookin into this and heres what i found out..

theres also a 8140HV that will work, specs:

Primary Resist: 0.6 ohms

Secondary Resist: 9.5K ohms

Turn Ratio: 123:1

Maximum Voltage: 45,000k volts

As far as the 8140C and 8140 their specs are:

Primary Resist: 1.2 ohms

Secondary Resist: 8.9k ohms

Turn Ratio: 100:1

Maximum Voltage: 42,000k volts

Now I'm confused on which one to go with... any suggestions?