Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sube nearly dead, please help :(

Hi all,

Long time no post! The past five years my younger brother has been using my '92 GL (Loyale) wagon and has pretty much ruined it completely. Body is trashed, multiple crashes, interior a mess. The time has come to clean it up and get it running (!!) again.

I am told that when the battery had charge, it was turning over but no sparks we being generated. That's all I have for you now - not a car genius but willing to learn - coil / distributor issue? If so how easy are they to test / replace and what will I need?

Thanks, looking forward to some Subie revival!

Nick

WB and here we go.

Lack of spark generated isnt automatically disty but since youve got it off, try to clean it up and see where it goes from there. These motors like oem stuff. Especially disty stuff. If you need plugs and wires go with ngk. If you cant get past that then try the fuel filter its on the driverside fender. Also get into a quiet spot and turn the car into the on position and make sure you can hear the fuel pump turn on. Also finally make sure youve got good charge or a good battery to use because to diagnose a non running vehicle your going to need a good battery for all the cranking yoru going to do:grin:

Ben

does the rotor turn as you crank the car..

I bet it's a timing belt...

easy fix!

Thanks guys. The battery is on the charge as we speak - I'll see what happens tomorrow but as far as I am aware it turns over but no spark when a plug is pulled from the block.

How does a timing belt affect the spark?

Thanks,

Nick

just change the timing belts they are 20-30 bucks and it takes about an hour

to change them even your dog could do it the 1.8 is like the easiest engine to work on and even if its not the problem at least u will have the peace of mind that they wont break in the middle of nowhere:banana: :banana:

just change the timing belts they are 20-30 bucks and it takes about an hour

to change them even your dog could do it the 1.8 is like the easiest engine to work on and even if its not the problem at least u will have the peace of mind that they wont break in the middle of nowhere:banana: :banana:

How do I find out if it's the timing belts for sure? Where can I find instructions on replacing them etc?

OK - update. I put the battery in and found out the following

- no noise from fuel pump when in the on position (although I can't remember it ever making a noise?)

- distibutor rotor IS turning when I crank it...

- battery is farked, lasted about 20 seconds of work before dying.

What next then?!

Ta, Nick

if the battery will only crank for 20 seconds, i would get a new one, your voltage is probably dropping as soon as you crank it causing a weak spark, if the plugs are old you may not even see a spark, you could man up and check it on your hand if your elbow jumps a foot or more you have good spark... ...ar ar ar

if the battery will only crank for 20 seconds, i would get a new one, your voltage is probably dropping as soon as you crank it causing a weak spark, if the plugs are old you may not even see a spark, you could man up and check it on your hand if your elbow jumps a foot or more you have good spark... ...ar ar ar

Yeah I imagine a new battery is in order regardless... I'll get some photos of the poor bloody car to show you how badly my mongrel brother treated it, and also to show you improvements in coming months :headbang: