Ultimate Subaru Message Board

diff betw synchronizing and programming remote?

I've got a 98 Forester and believe I need to synchronize the remote vs. programming it. Nothing happens when I hit the unlock and lock button on the remote and I've tried to program it according to the directions on cars101.com and it seems like there's no signal coming from the remote. I think it has to be synchronized before it can be programed, but I can't find any info on the steps to synchronize the remote. On newer models you hit one of the buttons on the remote 6 times but not on this one:(. I'll call the dealership on Monday but was hoping to find the answer beforehand. I just replaced the car and remote battery.

TIA!

I've got a 98 Forester and believe I need to synchronize the remote vs. programming it. Nothing happens when I hit the unlock and lock button on the remote and I've tried to program it according to the directions on cars101.com and it seems like there's no signal coming from the remote. I think it has to be synchronized before it can be programed, but I can't find any info on the steps to synchronize the remote. On newer models you hit one of the buttons on the remote 6 times but not on this one:(. I'll call the dealership on Monday but was hoping to find the answer beforehand. I just replaced the car and remote battery.

TIA!

is the battery good?

Try this (http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code%20alarm):

Forester 1998 model:

Programming or Overriding the Alarm when you have lost the remote

Open driver's door.

Turn ignition key to 'On'

Press and *hold programming button* in (see diagram, button under dashboard)

After 15 seconds the the door locks will cycle 3 times. Do not release Programming button

Press lock (left) button the remotes to be programmed. The door locks will cycle one time.

Exit programming mode by releasing Programming button under dashboard and turning key to off.

Code Alarm Programming Button is under dashboard on the kick panel by the driver's left knee, left of the steering column. If you can't find it, it might still be tucked up in the wiring harness higher up in that same general area. The botton is recessed in a plastic ring (see diagram).

This button must be pressed while programming remotes or if the battery was disconnected and the lights are flashing.

On the web site there is a diagram of where the button is along with all kinds of other info.

Try this (http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code%20alarm):

Forester 1998 model:

Programming or Overriding the Alarm when you have lost the remote

Open driver's door.

Turn ignition key to 'On'

Press and *hold programming button* in (see diagram, button under dashboard)

After 15 seconds the the door locks will cycle 3 times. Do not release Programming button

Press lock (left) button the remotes to be programmed. The door locks will cycle one time.

Exit programming mode by releasing Programming button under dashboard and turning key to off.

Code Alarm Programming Button is under dashboard on the kick panel by the driver's left knee, left of the steering column. If you can't find it, it might still be tucked up in the wiring harness higher up in that same general area. The botton is recessed in a plastic ring (see diagram).

This button must be pressed while programming remotes or if the battery was disconnected and the lights are flashing.

On the web site there is a diagram of where the button is along with all kinds of other info.

Yep, that is what I tried and nothing happens after I push the programming button. Although the button is not recessed in any kind of ring. I can't find any other button and we have to push it in order to start the car so I'm assuming it's some kind of alarm disable switch. Since there seems to be no signal coming from the remote it looked like from other Subaru remote descriptions on the cars101.com site that the remote would need to be synchronized before programming since we changed out the car battery, but I can't find anything on synchronizing this particular remote.

I still haven't checked the new battery in the remote...tomorrow:).

Yep, that is what I tried and nothing happens after I push the programming button. Although the button is not recessed in any kind of ring. I can't find any other button and we have to push it in order to start the car so I'm assuming it's some kind of alarm disable switch. Since there seems to be no signal coming from the remote it looked like from other Subaru remote descriptions on the cars101.com site that the remote would need to be synchronized before programming since we changed out the car battery, but I can't find anything on synchronizing this particular remote.

I still haven't checked the new battery in the remote...tomorrow:).

Well I'm getting 12.6v out of the new remote battery so that's not it:(. I just think there needs to be some kind of dance on my head routine to get the remote to sync up with the system again?

Are you sure about that voltage? Seems like the coin sized battery in mine is only about 1.5 volts (type #2032). If you have a Subaru dealer nearby, they may reprogram it for you for no charge. My local dealer did-probably a goodwill gesture- and didn't charge. Just a suggestion-call and ask for their help.

Yep, the battery that came out of the remote is a 12v, mini AAA type battery and that's what I put back in. I did call the dealer and the service guy wouldn't even give me any suggestions, just "bring it in":mad:, which probably means a charge. Maybe I'll bring it to another dealer who maybe would program it for free. Or maybe I'll just have to buy another remote for it, ugh.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

if nothing happens when you press the programming button under the dash then either that's not the right button or something is disconnected somewhere...

my guess is that it's not the right button since you say you have to press it to start the car...

the plastic rings on those are really thin and break easily... my button was tucked under the dash in the rest of the wiring... although I didn't have a fake/alarm button in its place like you do...

I would check under the dash on the left side of the column and try to locate another red button...

--Spiffy

if nothing happens when you press the programming button under the dash then either that's not the right button or something is disconnected somewhere...

my guess is that it's not the right button since you say you have to press it to start the car...

the plastic rings on those are really thin and break easily... my button was tucked under the dash in the rest of the wiring... although I didn't have a fake/alarm button in its place like you do...

I would check under the dash on the left side of the column and try to locate another red button...

--Spiffy

Bingo! You just put into words what I've been thinking.

I stopped at the dealer this morning and they were willing to take a peek:banana: . Unfortunately they did the same thing I did, following the cars101 info, and it still didn't work. However...the button...for one...is not red, it's black, and it's not recessed. And two, yes, the fact that I need to push it to start the car also makes me think it's not the right button. I looked all over for another button but no luck so far. I just had some work done on it by a mechanic friend and while he was working on it it was doing some screwy electrical things, door lights coming on when all doors were securely closed, the horn/hazard fuse keeps blowing...so maybe some wires got crossed or a bad ground somewhere. And since the budget is kind of tight and at least it's running, I think I'll just have to live with pushing a button to start and no remote:(, oh well at least no one can steal it:).