Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scrap yard radiators??

Ever since I used radiator seal in an uniformed panic as a safeguard prior to a road trip, my 87 gl has consistently been running hot. Its been flushed and refilled but no luck. Only with the heat on and the outside temp in the 60s does it seem to be okay. So I found a spectra radiator for 75$ through rock auto or can get a radiator from a subaru salvage yard for the same 75$, which path should I go? The scrap yard has a 30 day garuantee.

i think i'd go new unless someone has a compelling reason i'm missing. particularly considering it's an EA vehicle - the plastic end tanks are much more brittle now than they are 20 years old.

i think there are some EA82 radiator differences out there, but i'm not on the up and up enough to fill you in any.

rockauto isn't very good at delineating information either. i notice even after picking a specific model and engine it still lists the wrong parts often. what's the point if they're going to do that - why not just lump all 1989 stuff together, why make me "drill"!??!?!

So the thermostat is new following the additive and I replaced the radiator cap since the problem started. I went back to the old cap because it overheated even faster with the new one. I have started to have coolant loss since I fully overheated the system a few weeks back. I don't take it very far anymore so have been topping it off. Some days I may put in 8 oz of fluid after driving 50 miles sometime much more after putting on less miles.

I figure I will need to do something with the head s at some point and am preparing to do that soon.

I do not know how old the water pump is at this point.

Ever since I used radiator seal in an uniformed panic as a safeguard prior to a road trip, my 87 gl has consistently been running hot. Its been flushed and refilled but no luck. Only with the heat on and the outside temp in the 60s does it seem to be okay. So I found a spectra radiator for 75$ through rock auto or can get a radiator from a subaru salvage yard for the same 75$, which path should I go? The scrap yard has a 30 day garuantee.
For $75 I would likely go new. However, Pull a Part yards in Tacoma, Lynnwood, and Smokey Point sell them for around $20 with a 30 return window (save the receipt and marking). You can usually find an acceptable one if you're lucky.