Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all..........my son just purchased a 98 impreza L 4 door sedan.

came home last night and found out the gas gauge and temp gauge dont light up. Any leads to how or where to find out how to get to the bulbs

and replace them? Any help will be much appreciated,,,,its his first car.

Thank You.............:burnout:

If its anything like the legacy its really easy. Remove the trim peice around the dash ( some screws). THen remove the instrument cluster (more screws) and disconnect the wire harnesses (there is a small one dead center that is for the spedo, its not obvious). Then with it out i would replace all the illumination bulbs and be done with it.

You may have to remove some switches (aka legacy) but they just unplug.

nipper

rob777,

nipper's narrative will give you the steps, but being a visual person, the attached might help, although it's for my '97 Legacy, you should get the picture (bad pun). Oh and they call the instrument cluster a combination meter, go figure.

rob777,

nipper's narrative will give you the steps, but being a visual person, the attached might help, although it's for my '97 Legacy, you should get the picture (bad pun). Oh and they call the instrument cluster a combination meter, go figure.

Can you post a similar visual for replacement of the A/C/Heater dash instrument panel light bulb on a 96 Legacy AWD Wagon. Thanks.

Can you post a similar visual for replacement of the A/C/Heater dash instrument panel light bulb on a 96 Legacy AWD Wagon. Thanks.

Do a search for HVAC lights or heater lights. There is a great set of directions on how to do it, and its a bit more complicated then what i can type here quickly.

Also you buy the bulbs from radioshack and not subaru. If you have replaced xmass lights you can do these.

nipper