Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Putting '97 Ej22 into vehicle currently with '90 EJ22?

I have a vehicle ['86 VW Vanagon] with a very tired but running '90 Subaru EJ22 Legacy engine in it.

I have access to a low mileage '97 EJ22 Impreza engine to make a swap, but I am not sure of the complications.

I just want to do a long block swap, so I am not interested in upgrading the wiring, etc., to make it ODB-II.

I believe the '97 is an interference engine, so I will definitely replace the timing belt [as well as seals, etc.]

I do know I will have an exhaust port issue because the '90 has a dual port exhaust, while the '97 has a single port exhaust.

However would I be able to use the '90 intake manifold on the '97 engine?

Are you aware of any other complications I might run into [blocking off ODB-II stuff, etc]?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Really? I thought all EJ22 engines were non interference.

the ej22 became interferrence in 97.they made a few changes to squeeze more power out of it. and if i read and remember correctly, it was motivated in part because higher emmision standards zap engine power, so they tweek the engine design so not to take a step backwards in over all power.