Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No speedo and no overdrive. Any connection?

1999 2.2 Legacy, automatic, 100K, the speedo is not working and the tranny will not drop into fourth/overdrive even when warm on the highway. Stays up at about 4000 rpm to do about 60/65 mph. No CEL.

Searched all over the boards and couldn't find any connection. Couldn't find anyone with just fourth gear out.

Hoping it's the VSS speed sensor. ??

Any ideas would be apreciated.

1999 2.2 Legacy, automatic, 100K, the speedo is not working and the tranny will not drop into fourth/overdrive even when warm on the highway. Stays up at about 4000 rpm to do about 60/65 mph. No CEL.

Searched all over the boards and couldn't find any connection. Couldn't find anyone with just fourth gear out.

Hoping it's the VSS speed sensor. ??

Any ideas would be apreciated.

front speed sensor would be my guess, but i've never heard of it causing no 4th gear. did you run the rpms up until you hit the rev limiter, that should make it shift.

i have no idea if it's the speed sensor or not but you should be able to find one in the parts wanted forum here. probably commanding a high price from Subaru. should be really easy to replace. accessed through the engine compartment, on top, passengers side i believe.

hopefully it's not the dash that's the problem, 1999 was a strange year for Subaru. there are a couple of issues that are basically isolated to that year and the dash crapping out is one of them.

1999 was a strange year for Subaru. there are a couple of issues that are basically isolated to that year and the dash crapping out is one of them.

I'll second that. My mom's '98 5-speed had the speedo problem the other week and it was just the VSS thankfully.

Our mechanic mentioned that they see a lot of problems with '99s, said we were lucky. I'll be interested to hear how things turn out.

Brian M.