Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What are some of the things I should do to my 1994 Subaru Impreza at 185000kms?

What exactly do you mean by "not running as well as it used to be". Any check engine light?

On an EJ engine (which yours is), the wires are almost as important as the plugs. I'd only use Subaru or Magnecor wires for the car, avoid eveything else. Search or read more here about it if you're wondering why.

Other things that may help and should be done by now - air filter, PCV valve, and clean the EGR valve. All very simple things to do, very cheap, and don't take long at all to do. The PCV valve should probably be a Subaru only item.

Something else that should be done by now but probably won't help your current situation is the fuel filter.

Something that i've seen cause poor shifting - but not really bad engine running is the pressure sensor filter (if it has it - it's a small roundish thing on a vaccuum hose on the passengers side of the engine bay and costs $7-ish).

you're also way over do for a timing belt.

Run a bottle or two of marvel mystery oil through the gas to help clean the injectors. I usually use one of the huge bottles per gas tank and ignore the directions on the can (8oz per tank full or something).

Is your engine making any noise - like tapping?

It just feels like the car has lost acceleration and power.

It sounds like the car is idling out of tune? and the exhaust coughs and splutters a little bit.

-->>about the vacuum hose part. Is it a little metal pipe with a brown or black plastic screw valve?

The cambelt was done a 160000kms.

Is the timing belt the same thing?

yes cam belt = timing belt. hmmm...exhaust stuff going on?

plug wires, PCV, air filter, and fuel treatment. i'd start there, they need done anyway, are easy and cost very little.

Yes it sounds like it is misfiring or something. The exhaust makes bump bump sounds, but out of tune I reckon.

What is the PCV sorry? Is it a little metal pipe with a small plastic screw valve?