Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Your not completely out of luck. You can do one of two things from my experiences.

One, If it is a Yakima rack, you should be able to use the lock core key used to insert the lock cores to remove the locks and replace with new cores (~$40). It is a key that is not cut.etched out, but straight on both edges, this is used to insert the cores.

Two, if the previous owner can remember the key # of the key itself you can order a new set....I am guessing this won't be the case since he can't remember where he put the set of keys in the first place.

Just talk to a rack dealer, they will help resolve your issue.

Good luck.

If it is a Yakima rack, which most of these are and the locks are unlocked you can use the lock core removal key. I know you don't have one, so send me your address and I will mail you one. Most rack stores around here won't take a core out for liability reasons, thinking you are stealing the rack. Once you have the core out look at the back or side of the core and you will see a number. It will be an A followed by three numbers. Call Yakima at: 888-925-4621 and tell them you need a new key. They are four dollars apiece and they are more than happy to send them to you.

Now, if the cores are locked, you will have to either get one of the cores picked so you can use the removal key to get it out or you can drill out one of them and get the core number for keys to the other locks. They should all be keyed the same.

Again, just send me your address and I will get the removal key to you.

If you need any other info you can PM me and we can try to fix this problem.

Mike

If I remember from my days working in a bike shop, both Yakama and Thule shoud have a number identifier on the lock cores. You should be able to go to any retailer that carries those brands and purchase new keys. If the the rack was purchased thru Subaru (Yakama), they should be able to order replacement keys.

Example on core number info on Thule's website: http://www.thuleracks.com/product_locks.asp?Key=true&type=thule