Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Failing..Not sure??

86 turbo with original fuel pump..when cold starting the car, it will hardly move at all, .. when driving down the street their seems to be no noticeable problem until the next stop light...then it will be slow to leave the corner and then all of a sudden it picks up to speed...I have changed out the fuel filter for a new one but no change

The problem may be with the throttle position sensor.
..I thought also that the problem could be something else then the fuel pump, but if that is the case being the throttle postion sensor, it would be very difficult to replace with a used one around here..I just noticed that "harborfreight" has a fuel injection tester for $12 and if the pump checks out to be OK, I just may have to retire the car until a part can be found

I did check the TB and all is fine ( I checked it 5 yrs ago and nothing has changed) and I also put in another fuel pump borrowed from a friend.. the lack of power apon start up and leaving the corner is still there..I got a feeling that I will have to put her to pasture because the FI parts for this particular model are expensive..200,000mi and still does not burn oil and even passed emissions 2yrs ago

after driving on the highway for a short time and the car now being well warmed up, I do NOT have any more problems with the stop and go etc..but if it sits for half an hour, the sputtering starts up again until fully warmed up...then it runs perfect...I am going to check the "thermo time switch" even though it was replaced about a year ago..after that I have no more ideas

i recently had a similar problem with my loyale. thought it was fuel related because it was hard to start and when moving from a stop, it would sputter then "catch" and would move along just fine. seemed to be fuel starved. WOT and climbing hills did fine. well, turned out to be my coil. intermittent-no spark issue.

I have a spare coil and will give it a try tomorrow...talked to a GM mechanic friend of mine and he suggested that also for me to check the "voltage" going to the "throttle body", "coolant sensor" and the "air temp sensor"..must be at least "5" volts or something is wrong..ohm testing is only part of the story ..looked on rockauto for my model yr and they do have an "air temp sensor"..I never heard of such a thing...maybe someone knows where it is located

Success..But I don't know how??..late last night took the car for spin..no hesitation..this morning the same thing..the car drives as it should..I did nothing to it...anyway this morning I would also check just for fun if 5 volts were going to the TB and it is OK but only 1/2 volt going to the coolant sensor..I don't know if this is normal, but for now, appears to fine

i recently had a similar problem with my loyale. thought it was fuel related because it was hard to start and when moving from a stop, it would sputter then "catch" and would move along just fine. seemed to be fuel starved. WOT and climbing hills did fine. well, turned out to be my coil. intermittent-no spark issue.
..interesting info..for further reference, what year is your "loyale"..if my problem starts up again, I will then change out the coil