Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I've searched (probably not enough), but only found info on going from egr or non-egr to non-egr.

I'm (hopefully) swapping a '95 EJ22 from a manual into a '98 Outback w/an AT (yes, another bad HG).

Will I get a CEL because the EJ22 doesn't have an EGR port for the one on the OB?

Is there a work-around for this?

I plan on reselling the car, and don't want issues w/codes.

Thanks

you can do whatever you want...just depends what kind of custom work you want to do.

the EGR port threads into the back of the head as well. so if you install an intake manifold with EGR and want to install the other end you'll need to drill and tap the head...most people don't like doing that to a good motor.

you can remove the head and replace it with a head that has an EGR port. that seems silly since you're trying to avoid a head job to begin with.

another option is to get an intake with EGR and pipe the EGR into the exhaust somewhere (avoiding putting it into the head). that would require some piping and custom work but wouldn't be all that hard.

I bought a non-egr engine by mistake. I converted it to a egr engine. You'll need a egr head as well as a intake. There is a pipe that goes from the egr @ the intake to the head. I've got a head in a machine shop that is working on drilling an egr port in the non egr head, but is having trouble machining the seat for the pipe. I'll let you know if the shop can drill the port and how they did the seat. Maybe it'll help.

MY 2.5 JDM engine was non-EGR and I just swapped my intake over and drilled/tapped the head. I removed the heads anyway and put the new style OEM head gaskets on before the install so drilling/tapping the head wasn't hard. I checked the depth of the port on the old heads and put tape around the drill bit to know when to stop. I went slow, used cutting oil and made sure to clear the drill shavings out once in awhile. I believe the tap was just under $20, let me know if you can't find one and I can sell you mine if you want.

Thanks to ALL for your feedback. It's appreciated!

Live and Learn...or just read more USMB posts! I've decided to fix the HG in lieu of trying to make the non-egr 2.2 work.

Since I'm reselling this car, and if the buyer is from (nearby) WA they'll need to pass inspection - perhaps including a visual -I don't want to 'fubar' this.

CCR in CO (I called them about an intake they sell) told me about Jeremy; a Subie mechanic known as 'SubaruGuru'. He works out of Colville, WA 509-684-3384.

He's going to repair the HG for $500 - parts/labor/head machining. I already pulled the engine.

He told me he worked @ a Subie dealership for 14 years and has done 'hundreds of head gasktes' and lots of 2.2 swaps, so I'm confident that'll I get a good repair. He said the latest/greatest HG takes care of the issue??

Thanks again!:)

MY 2.5 JDM engine was non-EGR and I just swapped my intake over and drilled/tapped the head. I removed the heads anyway and put the new style OEM head gaskets on before the install so drilling/tapping the head wasn't hard. I checked the depth of the port on the old heads and put tape around the drill bit to know when to stop. I went slow, used cutting oil and made sure to clear the drill shavings out once in awhile. I believe the tap was just under $20, let me know if you can't find one and I can sell you mine if you want.

Did you do anything at the bottom of the hole for seating of the pipe? That's what the machine shop is wondering about, how to machine the seat for the flared pipe.