Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 87 RX needs help!!!

I've been all over, and asked a few members for help, but there is still something I am missing....

Car: 1987 RX turbo (EA82T) 150K Miles

Problems:

Trying to reverse, car dies.

Slight rev, idiot lights light up, tac goes haywire, and engine tries to stall.

Hard rev, WOT car bucks, and tries to die. (while driving)

I try and rev in neutral to get the engine back up, and she just wants to cut out, and die.

I've tried swapping out the alternator, the coil, battery, battery terminals, MAF, even some seafoam.

The rear tail light was leaking due to poor seals, which I've taken care of, and dried everything out as best as I could.

I've also tried searching through the wires at random to find some broken, or loose wiring to no avail.

I'm at a loss here fellas, this is my daily driver, and the car my dog rides in.

Anything I might have missed, feel free to call me out on.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Yeah I was sitting here at job #2 last night thinking the same thing. Sure acts like a fuel pump!!

Access to the pump is easy in the older roos, isn't it?

How many in line filters aside from the large ufo in the engine bay are there?

I can't wait to get off work to go work on her some more. Sure is depressing not driving such a fun car, and watching my dog "surf".

Edit: Holy chit!!! Vatozone wants an arm AND a leg for a pump!!

Is this thing made of gold???

Edited by EvilDead

The pump is easy to replace. It is under the passenger side of the car in front of the rear tire. Three bolts and you are ready to start changing the lines. Clamp off the line from the tank or you will take a bath in fuel as it siphons from the tank.

The big canister filter under the hood is the only one.

Start with the filter and see if the problem goes away and then go to the pump.

FYI, the parts bin has a pump for 150.00 and I know that is cheaper than the one from autozone.

Good luck.

Not to mention the one form autozone will likely fail on you a few times and you will end up replacing it at least 3 times before they give you a pump that actually last longer then a year.

I would know... I use to work there. LOL Just go to teh scrap yard and get one.

Yeah I just was using them as a base price reference.

They sold me a starter for a Ferd van that never worked with, so I only use them for small stuff.

I got a wagon that has a working one, and same EA82T setup. So I'll try that one, and then go to teh boneyeard when I can. I need to grab a bracket for the a/c to hold on the alt for the wagon anyways, so I'm sure I can get away with "borrowing" it for a while anyways.

I'll keep ya posted if this works.

I keep forgetting that's just the fuel gauge sensor under that access cover!! :lol:

So I swapped the fuel pump/filter with the known working one from my wagon...

Still the same thing, except she starts quicker, then dies again.

Pinched the fuel line from tank, and got sprayed by the send line due to pressure build up. Fun times.

Going to try and see what I can do about the wire harness to engine tonight. I just don't see how it could've gone bad.

Just for S&G's, loosen the gas cap.

Then try it again.

Yeah :lol: I had loosened the gas cap, but only after I was sprayed. Opps Damn plum forgot.

So anyways, mystery is solved!

It was the small harness that runs just under, and below the two main engine harnesses. So it was just a tiny bit loose (and am fairly sure this is the power to fuel pump :mad:)

So fixed the loose wire lead, and made sure the harness was plugged up tight, and whala! She runs perfecto.

So I want to say thanks for everyone's help, I am glad she is back on the road.