Ultimate Subaru Message Board

interchangeablity of driveshafts.

It appeares my thread got hijacked, so I'll repeat the question. I took the propellershaft out of my OBW MT now it doesn't move it just revs like the clutch isn't engaged. Is this normal or has the car been a rear wheel drive all this time?

its normal, remember you have a 50/50 split there and your trans is distributing power to the rear wheels as its thinking that they are spinning with no traction, that is because you removed the driveshaft...

btw sorry for hijacking the thread :grin:

FWIW, on an auto trans if you remove the front section of shaft, the AT fluid will run out. i don't know if manuals are the same.

Now I have to get the car back up the driveway!

put the shaft back in?

borrow another outback to pull it.

i searched on car-part.com and was surprised at how few were available. i guess they don't go bad very often. sorry for your trouble and the hijack.

its normal, remember you have a 50/50 split there and your trans is distributing power to the rear wheels as its thinking that they are spinning with no traction, that is because you removed the driveshaft...

btw sorry for hijacking the thread :grin:

Thinking about this a little more doesn't the power go from "...the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip?"

<<FWIW, on an auto trans if you remove the front section of shaft, the AT fluid will run out. i don't know if manuals are the same. >>

no, atf won't come out, gear lube will.

SCREWBARU, if you want to take measurements of the driveshafe, end to end, end to center bearing and front to center bearing, i will check my supply of driveshafts i have in my garage. i think i only have about ten left. all from cars with less than 1000 miles on them. taken out before they were scrappped.

Edited by svxpert

<<FWIW, on an auto trans if you remove the front section of shaft, the AT fluid will run out. i don't know if manuals are the same. >>

no, atf won't come out, gear lube will.

SCREWBARU, if you want to take measurements of the driveshafe, end to end, end to center bearing and front to center bearing, i will check my supply of driveshafts i have in my garage. i think i only have about ten left. all from cars with less than 1000 miles on them. taken out before they were scrappped.

Yes that's right gear oil comes out:lol: When I unbolted and removed the rear section a little gear oil came out is that normal?

I'm getting ready to leave for work now, (3rd shift). When I get home in the AM I will take those measurments and PM you. Why are you scrapping cars with less than 1000 miles on them? Is scrap that high now?:-\

i think i only have about ten left. all from cars with less than 1000 miles on them. taken out before they were scrappped.

I hope you meant 100 k miles! :banana:

My two retired subes have about 400 k miles on them. The Loyale needed a replacement shaft at about 300 k miles and as far as I know the GL's is original.

My Leggy 5SM is presently in a shop awaiting a transplant since the front universal bearing gave up at a mere 240 K miles. :-\ It caused a low speed vibration and a definite "clunk" when I let the clutch out in reverse.

I do know there are two types of drive shafts fitted to the Leggy and I'm told they are not interchangable.

Cheers.

I found a driveshaft today. :banana::banana: Waiting for the yard to remove it. Forecast is rain for the next 2 days so I don't think I'll see it until next week. :mad: It's in a 96 lego 5spd. so it should fit. They want $40.00 dollars removed. Sounds good to me. :grin: Also RI driveshaft says they've done soob shafts in the past and can probably replace the bad u-joint in the original shaft for $70.00 which doesn't sound bad either. I'm thinking I'll do that too and have a spare.

I found a driveshaft today. :banana::banana: Waiting for the yard to remove it. Forecast is rain for the next 2 days so I don't think I'll see it until next week. :mad: It's in a 96 lego 5spd. so it should fit. They want $40.00 dollars removed. Sounds good to me. :grin: Also RI driveshaft says they've done soob shafts in the past and can probably replace the bad u-joint in the original shaft for $70.00 which doesn't sound bad either. I'm thinking I'll do that too and have a spare.

glad you found what you need. but i wouldn't spend money on both. either get the used shaft or have yours repaired, doing both will be wasteful. these don't go bad very often. if you want some insurance, save your bad one, un-repaired, you can always spend 70$ to have it repaired if you need it.

my 0.02 worth.

glad you found what you need. but i wouldn't spend money on both. either get the used shaft or have yours repaired, doing both will be wasteful. these don't go bad very often. if you want some insurance, save your bad one, un-repaired, you can always spend 70$ to have it repaired if you need it.

my 0.02 worth.

You make good sense, however I have the $$ to spend now who knows what I'll have later and I won't have to wait for the shop to do it. I'd like to get 1000000.miles on this outback, with enough spare parts on hand I'm sure I can do it!!

I had RI Driveshaft replace the U-joint and a fine job they did! There's even a grease fitting in the new joint to keep it lubed. So when I was done the car wouldn't start! This car hates me for putting it back in service! The starter died just sitting there. The voltage was 4.4V when cranking the starter with a fully charged battery. One rebuilt starter later and all seems well. Put about 50 miles on it today with no issues. I don't notice any difference with the 2.2. Maybe its because of the 5spd. Still 3350 RPM @ 70 MPH which seems high to me but Subaru says no normal. This car will turn 300K before May another milestone on the way to 1 million.