Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Knuckle vs stub axle in bearing replacement

I need a new rear bearing on my '99 Leg Outback. From reading around, I see that it can be easier and cheaper to change the whole knuckle assembly.

I asked an online vendor if they had them, and they replied saying "yes, a right rear stub axle would be $50 incl. shipping."

Is this just a different term or did the guy think I wanted something different?

Thanks,

Andrew

PS any comments on pricing or where to get them online would be great.

I need a new rear bearing on my '99 Leg Outback. From reading around, I see that it can be easier and cheaper to change the whole knuckle assembly.

I asked an online vendor if they had them, and they replied saying "yes, a right rear stub axle would be $50 incl. shipping."

Is this just a different term or did the guy think I wanted something different?

Thanks,

Andrew

PS any comments on pricing or where to get them online would be great.

The stub axle is what passes through the bearings and knuckle. On a 4wd the stub is the outer CV joint of the axle.

The posts you've seen here to replace the whole knuckle refers to going to a junkyard for a used assembly.

that bearing actually isnt that spendy to replace.

dont get a used one on these. bearing costs 45 bucks or something and get a machine shop to press the bearing in if u dont have access to a bearing. last one I did at work cost bout 125 bucks for everything to be done if u pull the knuckle off yourself

That's a transmission (front diff) not a rear diff picture, right? I pulled out my rear CV axles yesterday and the spline shaft came out with the axle, leaving a hole in either side of the rear diff. Did I do that wrong?

Is the differential output shafts sometimes referred to as stub shafts? these things?

stubshaft-1a.jpg

Yes that pic is from the a front. I think there's circlips or something that hold those in place and if too much force is applied the clip can pop off and let the stub come out? So you'd probably want to make sure to get the old clip out when draining the gear oil and if it doesn't come out maybe use on of those little flexible retrievers with the magnet on it to try to get it out.