Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Junkyard Engine Checklist

Here are the things I look for, how about you?

Accident something that took the car out of service, most likely was running down the road (good engine and Trans)

No accident (auto Trans) most likely the trans went

Mileage, the lower the better

Coolant overflow bottle for oil/black stuff = Head gasket leak

Pull the engine drain plug (most yards drain the oil) some oil will be left in the pan, cleaner the better and no metal in the bottom of the pan when you stick your finger in.

Turn the engine over, good compression if compression seems low, make sure the plugs are tight.

Pull the plugs, clean and a even burn on all is great

Pull the side timing belt covers, align the cam sprockets the timing marks should line up. Newer belt is super

Overall condition of the car, cleaner the better

I haven't had a bad motor yet, but have pull some that were miss timed and the timing had to be reset. The crank pulley is usually off (they used the front arrow instead of the tooth tick mark)

Edited by lmdew

I was once told by a guy who worked at a pick and pull junk yard that you can read whatever on the windshield. They usually use paint pen to write on the windshield. Like R means it Runs and if you see a bar code sticker on the body somewhere, that means its totaled by insurance company.

Anyone wants to add anything?

Edited by pearlm30